Downy Feathers

Magic swirls in the air of the cottage, glowing rivers of etheric power flowing into the half-elf as he does his best to save the child in his arms

Magic swirls in the air of the cottage, glowing rivers of etheric power flowing into the half-elf as he does his best to save the child in his arms. If Adder could open his eyes, he would no doubt be in awe of the brilliant light shining from his lover, the tattooed snake on his skin shimmering and twisting with power. Even with his eyes shut though, the gorgon feels the awesome force of his partner. He hugs Eben and the child tight to his body, unable to do anything to truly assist.

A bright explosion of magic suddenly bursts outward, causing all the room's occupants to fall backward with the force of it. Even Eben and Adder are thrown roughly to the floor. But all of that is nothing to him as he hears the beautiful sound of a shrill, trilling, cry from the harpy.

Tears track down the gorgon's pale cheeks as he sits up. "You did it, Eben, you did it!"

The half-elf pants, laying flat on the floor with the infant. "I'm keeping it alive still. It's weak..."

"Gods above..." Edmund exclaims.

"Congrats on your baby girl," Basil whispers, dragging the human with him out of the room as he absconds with haste.

Adder can only sob, lifting Eben up by the shoulders and hugging the child between their chests. He chuckles, hand caressing the gorgon's face.

"Open your eyes, Adder. It's safe now."

Hesitantly, Adder peers down. The child is securely held in Eben's arms, rosy cheeks aglow with magic.

"She's perfect," Adder blubbers.

Eben brushes a hand over her head, through the fine collection of auburn hair there. "Her eyes are closed..."

Adder smiles. "It's okay, that's normal. She'll open them when she's ready."

The half-elf smiles, standing up. "Can we take her home now?"

"Not yet. We need to bathe her first."

"Okay. I need to keep infusing her with magic, you get the bath ready."

Adder nods, immediately heaving the cauldron over to the hearth. The room soon becomes misty and warm as the water reaches temperature. The gorgon dips his hand in to ensure the water is acceptable before setting it in front of Eben. The half-elf removes the swaddle and gently lowers the little one into the warm water. It seems that she enjoys the sensation, as she immediately goes quiet.

Adder watches intently as the gunk from the egg is washed off. His eyes tear up more as he studies her; her head and torso are humanoid, but where there would be chubby arms and legs are two fluffy wings covered in downy white feathers and two digitigrade legs ending with bird-like feet.

He traces a small wing with a clawed finger delicately. When it reaches the first bend, he finds a small, avian, three-fingered hand there. Immediately it latches on, holding tight.