One Winged Dove

In all his life, there are some outstanding memories of excitement Adder can recall

In all his life, there are some outstanding memories of excitement Adder can recall. There's the time he received a beautiful set of bone knitting needles from Helia for his 14th birthday, the first time he caught a rabbit by himself, his first kiss with Eben, Merlyn hatching, and now, he would be adding meeting the Zarek Bastarius to the list. Adder is ecstatic, to stay the least.

If only they had met under better circumstances...

"Watch it! That hurts!" Zarek yelps. He's laid out on the grass, cloaks removed to reveal a dark-colored wound that goes from his collarbone to his hip.

"Stay still, I've seen men die from less," Eben says.

"Not inspiring confidence!"

"Adder, distract him. I think magic is involved here..."

Adder sits up, twiddling with his claws. "I—uh—Sir Bestarius—"

"My God, is this my life? Just call me Zarek. I'm not your father."

"Of course—I—-I'm a big fan of yours."

Zarek laughs, flinching as Eben lays a glowing hand on his chest. The tattooed serpent slithers onto Zarek's skin, seeming to investigate the ominous wound on his trunk. Zarek watches with intense interest, light reflecting in his eyes.

"Big fan? You must be my biggest fan. What are you, 15 feet long?"

"Oh—uh—I've never measured..."

"You were so small when I met you. You were a rambunctious child, then. Fresh out of the egg and filled with energy. I still remember how you wrapped around my arm—nearly turned it purple!"

"About that...you've been to Nǣdre Tor?"

"I have, a long time ago, when you were a child. Is...Sheppard still around?"

"That bastard is long gone," Eben grins.

"Thank God!"

"I guess he didn't make a good impression, then."

"No, he didn't. Are you his son?"

Eben balks, laughing. "No! Gods no—-"

"Really? I'll have to add you to my next book. This is a huge discovery, another half-elf! I was thinking you might've just inherited the ears. But with that magic, I knew you must be the genuine article. Would you be willing to sit for an interview?"

Eben stares, flabbergasted. His ears twitch, and he immediately covers them with his cloak. "Let's discuss this later. You've been cursed. I don't know how to lift it."

"Oh. That's not good."

Daisy, who'd been sitting nearby with her head in Ferns lap, sits up. "Understatement, my good sir. Curse or not though, we need to start moving. We're still not safe here."