Cold Scales

As soon as they make it into the cave, Adder collapses heavily onto the sheepskin rug

As soon as they make it into the cave, Adder collapses heavily onto the sheepskin rug. Eben is pulled down with the gorgon as he falls with an oof.

Up close, the wounds look even worse than initially thought. There are several deep lacerations and puncture wounds across the gorgon's torso and tail, and even one gnarly-looking slash across his face.

Blood is seeping freely from between dark scales, though thankfully there's no gushing. Despite that small mercy, the gorgon is slowly losing consciousness. Eben knows from his precarious lifestyle that's not a good sign.

He quickly heads to their supplies to get what he needs before time runs out. "Adder! Stay awake okay? Don't go to sleep."

Adder groans in pain as Eben applies pressure to the largest wound across the gorgon's chest with a rag. "Put your hand here. Press down."

Adder does as he's told with a grimace as Eben rifles through the medicine bag. Eben pulls out some fabric and a mysterious bottle of liquid. Taking a sniff and smelling something herbal and astringent, he guesses this is to clean wounds. The half-elf uncorks the bottle, pouring it over the lacerations.

Adder hisses and growls at the pain, consciousness abruptly restored.

Eben doesn't pay any mind, Adder is hardly frightening right now. "Don't you growl at me! I'm helping you!"

Adder winces but doesn't protest further. Eben continues to clean and dress his wounds until the half-elf must address the injury on his chest.

"Open your mouth, Adder. You don't want to be sober for this."

Adder's face pinches in disgust as Eben tilts the bottle to his lips. After dousing his hands with the alcohol, Eben picks up a needle and thread and starts to sew up the wound. It's a messy and painful process, but Eben attempts to get through it quickly.

Finally, after what feels like hours, Eben ties off the last stitch and steps back to survey his handiwork. The wound is now closed and clean, but Adder looks weak and exhausted. Eben quickly fetches a bowl of water and a few strips of dried meat, offering it to the gorgon.

Inebriated, Adder's hand cleanly misses the offered bowl. Sighing, Eben sets the food on the table and helps the gorgon sit up.

Adder sways as he chews the meat slowly. Eben joins him at the table, His body rejoicing at finally being fed as he takes a bite out of an apple.

The crunch of the fruit seems to catch Adder's attention. The gorgon pauses his meal to face Eben.

"Eben...Why did you help me?"

The redhead swallows. Why did he help Adder? The smart thing to do would've been to kill the gorgon while he was down. But instead, he hesitated. Why?

"I guess...I guess I wanted to repay you for saving me. You didn't have to."

Adder frowns leaning forward. "Of courssse I did... That'ssss my whole job..."