Birds of Prey

Adder basks in the warmth of the summer sun, smiling in bliss as he listens to the sound of the rushing river

Adder basks in the warmth of the summer sun, smiling in bliss as he listens to the sound of the rushing river. This is his favorite place—his little haven where all his stressful thoughts float away with the roar of the water. 

Nearby, Eben is fishing, quietly whistling a tune as he attempts to catch their dinner. Adder watches how the dappled sunlight dances on his partner's fiery locks, smiling. "Catch anything yet?"

"I know you've been staring—you think I could sneak a fish past your keen nose?"

Adder hums, propping himself up on his elbows. "I was hoping you had, I'm hungry."

Eben laughs, grinning as he reels in his line. "Why don't you go hunt down a rabbit to swallow, mr.snake? Or are you too lazy to hunt your own food down?"

Adder makes a sound of mock hurt, flopping onto his side as he hugs the egg to his body. "How dare you! Can't you see I'm with child?!"

"Better not let Demeterra hear you mocking the tribulations of women—I've dealt with enough curses in my lifetime..."

"The Goddess wouldn't be so petty."

"I don't know, I've heard some gruesome stories. Perhaps instead of being the deity of harvests, mothers, and fall, she should be the Goddess of revenge. Giakora got her mean streak from somewhere."

Adder rolls his eyes at the half-elf's sacrilege. This was one topic they never could agree on...but Adder is too sleepy to engage right now. "I will debate your heathen ways later. Right now you must be silent—the egg is sleeping."

"Isn't it always sleeping? It's an egg!"

"It's developing rapidly. It's already begun to react to sounds."

Eben flushes. "Wait, did it hear us when we..."

"Of all things to be embarrassed about! Go away, I'm too tired for your ridiculousness."

Eben gives a harrumph, crossing his arms. "Last week you were begging me to stay near, and now you're sending me away?"

"Yes. I want to ignore you from a safe distance, where I can come to you quickly if needed."

"As you wish, my gorgon master. I will leave you in peace."

"Ugh, stop."

The half-elf begins to walk down the trail, sing-songing his taunts. "Yes, m'lord! I live to serve you!"

Adder huffs, closing his eyes as he listens to the sounds of his lover retreating. Left alone in his happy place, the monster grins. Suddenly, he jumps when he hears a hard thunk from behind the eggshell. There's a moment where he expects the egg to begin cracking open, but soon calms as nothing but the sounds of nature greets him.

"Are you anxious to get out?" Adder giggles.

He glances at the canopy above him. Though the leaves have yet to shift into their blazing autumn hues, the ever-cooling breeze signals that fall is not too far away. Undoubtedly, the child will arrive in the wintertime...