Melting Frost

The road is treacherously frosty as Eben carefully steers the mare down the road

The road is treacherously frosty as Eben carefully steers the mare down the road. He tightens the scarf around his neck, pulling it up to cover his nose and mouth as snow continues to fall rapidly.

Truly, he's idiotic for not staying in the village. The storm seems to only get worse as they get closer to Adder's cave, but he can't turn back. He promised his friend he would celebrate Mortfall with him, and he intended to keep his word.

A sudden gust of brutal wind buffets Eben and Fairy, causing the mare to whinny in distress. He tries to urge her forward, but the horse seems to be refusing to go any further. Eben dismounts, tugging on her reigns as he trudges through the nearly knee-deep snow.

"C'mon girl, you're almost there! just a bit more, I promise!"

But no amount of coaxing can get her to go any further. The half-elf is being forced to return to the village.

Eben grits his teeth, emotions rising as the stinging wind bites.

How many holidays has Adder spent alone? how much does one man have to give before he's permitted the simple pleasure of human company?

Suddenly, the feelings of sorrow and rage for Adder are burning their way out of Eben. Power surges through him with an explosive force that shimmers violently in the air.

Eben gasps in shock as instantly, the snow stops, seeming to melt around him in a blast-radius-shape.

Not looking a gift horse in the mouth, Eben jumps back on Fairy. His thoughts are racing with what's just happened, but he puts it in the back of his mind. There was too much to think about right now—he just wants to be home.

As he finally makes his way to the cave's entrance, he can hear the comforting sound of crackling flames from the fire within. The warmth beckons to him, and he eagerly steps inside.

He sheds his frost-encrusted clothes before setting a pot of water to boil. As it begins to bubble, the cave becomes misty with steam and the scent of lavender. He douses himself with the hot water, vigorously scrubbing.

He wants to wash away the crawling feelings of horror and disgust that the priest has instilled in him. It's all too much—the death, the fear, the gnawing anxiety about the future...

What would it take to be free of it all, even for just a moment?

As rivulets of scorching water run down his body, Eben is struck by a sudden impulse—he knows precisely what he yearns for, what will completely erase all thoughts of Sheppard. He sets about preparing himself, hopeful that his efforts will be received well by Adder.

When he enters the gorgon's lair, pink and clean, he smiles at the sight of his friend sleeping soundly in his nest. The half-elf squats, gently shaking the gorgon's shoulder.

"Adder," Eben whispers, "wake up."

The gorgon grumbles sleepily. "Eben...you're back. How was the celebration?"