Yellow Bellied

Eben is in the garden painting when he hears the sound; a bell, clear and bright in the summer air

Eben is in the garden painting when he hears the sound; a bell, clear and bright in the summer air. It's not the church bells he heard the day he was apprehended, but it's just as unnerving.

A few moments later, Adder slithers into the garden. The half-elf puts his paintbrush down, turning to the gorgon. "Did you hear that? Are they summoning you?"

Adder shakes his head. "No, it's someone at the gate. They are most likely summoning you, probably to escort you to town. "

Eben's heart clenches at the thought. He is eager to get out, but he also doesn't want to ever see Sheppard ever again. Is he ready to face that despicable man?

Putting on a brave face, Eben stands. "Do I need to bring anything?"

Adder shakes his head. "Not to my knowledge. Safe travels, Eben."

Eben grimaces, anxiety swirling as he heads toward the gate. As he arrives, he's greeted by a set of familiar faces—it's Fern and Daisy, both waiting patiently with shut eyes.

The redhead finds it a little odd that Sheppard has sent two small women to escort a dangerous criminal...does the priest not care about their safety at all?

"Hello again, Daisy, Fern."

As the pair of women hear his voice, they open their eyes. Eben snorts at the ecstatic look on Fern's face and how it comedically contrasts the sour one on Daisy's.

"Eben, I'm so glad you're well! I prayed for you, I knew the Pantheon would keep you safe," Fern chirps.

Daisy scowls, crossing her arms. "Yes, he looks very alive and uneaten. Now let's go get Adder his supplies so we remain so as well."

Fern just grins as the trio starts walking through the forest. "You're just mad because I won the bet. You need to have more faith, Daisy."

"Oooh, You need to have more faith, Daiiisy. Oooh, I'm a precious little saint." Daisy mocks.

Fern doesn't react to her companion's barbs, instead turning to Eben. "How are you? Is Adder treating you fairly?"

"More importantly," Daisy butts in, "have you seen him? What's he like?"

Eben raises an eyebrow at the barrage of questions. "I'm fine, Adder mostly ignores me, I have seen him, and he's a seven-foot-tall monster afraid of roosters. Shouldn't you know this already?"

"Afraid of roosters?" Daisy asks, unbelieving.

Eben nods as Fern continues. "Nobody is allowed to go near him or speak to him except his servant and Father Sheppard."

Eben huffs. "I know he's a gorgon with a petrifying gaze, but he seems pretty well-behaved to me. Is everyone really so afraid of what happened when he was a child that they won't go near?"