Flying South

In only one year, Adder hasn't changed much

In only one year, Adder hasn't changed much.Just last week was his birthday, and though he feels the passage of time, neither his face nor his body is really showing it yet. Despite this, in just one year, he feels as if everything has drastically evolved since the arrival of Merlyn.

Contrasting to the easy, slow days that followed shortly after Sheppard's death, Adder is now often anxious and worried, usually about Merlyn. He ponders daily if he had made the right choice bringing her into the world, and if he was making the right choices for her future.

It seems that Adder isn't the only one who is affected, either. Eben has changed too. He seems more on edge lately, more apprehensive. Some days, Adder misses the carefree man who loved to risk it all. He misses the lazy mornings filled with just the two of them, the afternoons spent celebrating with drinks, and the quiet nights with no squabbling. Despite the added stress, however, it seems as if every other joy in Adder's life has been enhanced tenfold. Every little thing Merlyn does makes him happy. Every milestone she hits, no matter how small, makes his heart swell with pride. When he glances at Eben during these moments, it's clear he feels the same. They've spent the summer together as a little family of three, growing their bonds closer with each passing day.

For that reason, Adder is not enthused about their mission today, no matter how nice the break from parenting will be.

"Thank you for doing this," he says.

Helia is in the kitchen. She's tending to Merlyn, who's currently playing with a mushy bowl of oats. "of course. Do you have everything you need?"

"Just about. Do you—"

"Aaaaaaerrr!" Merlyn squeals.

Adder's can't help but smile at Merlyn's childish attempt to say his name. He slithers over to where she sits at the table. "Yes, chickadee?"

"Nnn."

"Are you having fun with your breakfast? You're making a mess! Let me clean you up..."

"Adder, I can handle it," says Helia.

"No, I can do it. Don't wiggle, Merlyn—"

"Adder, you need to go now. You've been stalling all morning."

Adder freezes. "No I haven't, I just...she's never been left alone before."

"She won't be alone. You know I'll take care of her."

"But we don't have to go now. Maybe we should wait longer, when she's a little older and won't miss us as much..."

"Adder. Harpies roost here in spring, summer, and early fall. You need to take every opportunity you can to find her flock, before it's too late. We've already lost most of this summer."

"I know! I know that—I know you want to be rid of her."

"Adder, you're misunderstanding."

"I understand quite well. "