57

||

||

"they're going to attack"

•••

Hayley held on to Jasper's hand as they walked through the snow. The few witnesses they gathered stood beside them, all holding hands with their respected family and loved ones.

It didn't take long for the Volturi to arrive. Their black and red capes covered their heads and bodies, yet Irena stood in her normal attire. The Denali coven looked betrayed as they looked to the blonde across the field.

Howls erupted from the woods behind them, and Hayley turned to see John standing beside her. The entire pack now stood by their side.

The Volturi took off their hoods, and Carlisle stepped forward. "Aro," he said lowly. "Let us discuss things as we used to. In a civilized matter."

"Fair words, Carlisle," Aro replied. "But a little out of place given the battalion you've assembled against us."

"I can promise you, that was never my intent," Carlisle assured. "No laws have been broken."

"We see the child. Do not treat us as fools!" Caius bellowed.

"She is not an immortal!" Carlisle said, raising his voice. "These witnesses can attest to that. Or you can look. See the flush of human blood in her cheeks."

"Artifice!"

"I will collect every facet of the truth," Aro said, holding his hand up for silence. "But from someone more central to the story. Edward, as the child clings to your newborn mate, I assume you are involved."

Aro held his hand out to the man, indicating he wished to read his thoughts. Edward comforted his daughter and wife before stepping away and over to enemy lines. Aro grasped his hand, looking into his memories.

"I'd like to meet her," He said, letting go of Edward's hand.

Hayley's body tensed. Edward looked back, letting them know it was okay. Bella and her daughter stepped forward, Jake following behind them. The newborn stopped and looked over her shoulder to Hayley, who let go of Jasper to join them.

Hayley stood behind her protected as the strigoi vampire looked her over. "Ah, young Bella," he greeted. "Immortality becomes you, and yet your dhampir is still standing."

He looked down to Renesmee, listening to her heartbeat before letting out a laugh.

"What the hell," Hayley mumbled, stepping towards the young girl.

"I hear her strange heart," he said, pointing to her.

Renesmee looked to her mom, offering a smile before stepping towards the strange vampire. Hayley subconsciously stepped forward with her. Aro held his hand out, but Renesmee reached up to touch his face, showing him her gift.