1

↓↓

↓↓

"yeah, bella's pretty cool"

•••

present day..

"We needed a fresh start," Ellen stated as she unpacked a box in the living room.

Hayley sighed. "I know, mom. I just don't understand why you couldn't wait for me to finish out the school year," she said, crossing her arms over her chest.

Ellen swallowed thickly. "I just— I just couldn't live in that house anymore. There were too many memories of him," she said sadly.

Hayley nodded her head, "I know, momma," she said quietly.

The older Kenner woman cleared her throat and ran a hand through her brown hair. "Why don't you go start unpacking the boxes in your room? Start tapping up all your pictures maybe?" She said with a small smile.

"Yeah, okay," Hayley mumbled quietly before turning to go to her new room.

Hayley's room was sized perfectly for her liking. Her full sized bed that sat on a white metal bed frame was placed in the middle of the room. Two small, white night stand sat on both sides of the bed, and a white desk sat in the corner with a white dresser besides it. Hayley had picked the color scheme for her room when she was little and hasn't gotten around to changing it yet.

Seven or eight boxes labeled 'Hayley's room' sat in the middle on the floor. The Kenner girl sighed as she walked over and opened the first large box. It contained all of the bed accessories: blankets, sheets, pillows, ect. Hayley quickly emptied the box and began to make her bed.

A short while later, after the bed was covered in a teal comforter and multiple pillows, Hayley moved on to the second box. The second box contained all of her clothes that she dreaded putting away. She decided to do it later, or beg her mom to do it and moved on to a different box.

As soon as she opened the box, Hayley smiled when she saw her camera. Photography had become her most beloved hobby when she turned 14. She began taking pictures of anything and everything, always wanting to capture every little moment. Hayley hated to admit that she hasn't even picked up her camera since her dad died.

Underneath the camera sat hundreds of Polaroid pictures she had taken over the years. She looked through a few of them before grabbing the tape and busying herself with hanging them on the wall.

It wasn't until she had nearly covered half of her wall when she heard a car pull into the gravel driveway. Hayley curiously peaked out the window to see a police cruiser parked in front of her house.

"Hayley!" Ellen called out, making Hayley jump.

"Coming, ma!" Hayley quickly replied as she left her half-decorated room.