4

↓↓

↓↓

"it was kind of hard not to"

•••

"I don't know if it's worth it anymore," Eric said as he zipped up his wet suit.

"We drove all the way out here," Jessica pointed out as she finished putting on her suit. "I'm at least paddling out."

"You guys are babies," Hayley teased from her spot in the van, making Mike to playfully glare at her and Jessica to laugh.

"So, I keep thinking that Eric's gonna ask me to the prom, and then he just doesn't," Angela told the two girls sadly.

"You should ask him," Bella said. "Take control. You're a strong, independent woman."

"I am?" Angela asked.

"Hell yeah," Hayley told her with a smile.

Jessica came over to Angela and turned around. "Hey, will you do me up?" She asked, motioning to the zipper on the back of her wet suit.

As Angela zipped up Jessica's wet suit, three boys with long, black hair came over to the van. "Bella!" One of them greeted.

"Hi, Jacob," Bella replied before introducing them to her friends. "Guys, this is Jacob."

Jacob smiled at the girls. "Hey, guys. How you doing?" He asked, walking to sit down in the van.

"What are you, like, stalking me?" Bella asked the long haired boy after he sat down.

Jacob scoffed. "You're on my rez, remember?" He asked with a smile. "Are you surfing?"

"Definitely not," Bella said, offering a piece of candy to Jake and Hayley.

"You guys should keep Bella company," Jessica said. "Her date bailed."

"Date?" Hayley questioned, confused.

"What date?" Eric asked.

"She invited Edward," Jessica informed with a small laugh.

"Really?" Hayley asked, kind of excited.

Bella looked at her friend and shook her head. "Just to be polite, that's it," she clarified.

"I think it's nice she invited him," Angela said. "Nobody ever does."

"Yeah, 'cause Cullen's a freak," Mike said.

"You got that right," Jacob's friend said.

"You guys know him?" Bella asked.

"The Cullens don't come here," Jacob's friend stated.

Jacob took a bite of his licorice. "Wanna go for a walk?" He asked Bella.

The Swan girl nodded her head before turning back to Hayley. "Do you want to come with us?" She offered and Hayley nodded.

*

"What did your friends mean about, you know, "The Cullens don't come here"?" Bella asked as the three walked along the shore.

"You caught that, huh?" Jacob asked.

"It was kind of hard not to," Hayley told him from her spot beside Bella.

"I'm not really supposed to say anything about it," Jacob said slowly.

"Hey. We can keep a secret," Bella assured him.

Jacob laughed. "Um, really, it's just like an old scary story," he told the girls.

"Well, we want to know," Bella insisted.

"Okay, um, did you know Quileutes are supposedly descended from wolves?" Jacob asked.

"What, really?" Hayley asked, intrigued.

"Yeah," Jacob said with a smile. "Well, that's the legend of out tribe."

"Okay," Bella said slowly. "So what's the story with the Cullen's?"

"Well, they're supposedly descended from this, like, enemy clan," Jake told them. "My great grandfather, the chief, found them hunting on our land. But they claimed to be something different, so we made a treaty with them. If they promised to stay off of Quileute lands, then we wouldn't expose what they really were to the pale faces."

"I thought they just moved here," Bella stated.

"Or just moved back," Jacob said as he stopped walking and turned to look at the two.

"Well, what are they really?" Bella asked.

"It's just a story, Bella," Jacob told her. "Come on, let's go."

The conversation was pretty much over at that point. The three returned to where the cars were parked and Jacob eventually left, leaving the two girls alone.

"Do you believe them?" Hayley asked, fidgeting with her fingers.

"Believe what?" Bella asked with a confused look.

"The legend Jacob told us," Hayley clarified.

Bella sighed and looked down. "I don't know yet," She mumbled.

*

"It's three in the morning, what do you want?" Hayley asked with a groan.

"I'm sorry to wake you," Bella quickly said into the phone. "I was wondering if you wanted to go to Port Angeles tomorrow?"

"Why?" Hayley asked.

"I've been up all night researching the legend that Jake told us," Bella explained. "I found a book store that sells Quileute legends."

"You couldn't wait to ask me about this in the morning?" Hayley asked.

"It is morning," Bella mocked. "Look, I'm sorry for waking you up, but will you please go to this book store with me tomorrow?"

"Of course I will," Hayley told her.

"Great!" Bella exclaimed. "I'll see you in a few hours, bye!" She said before she ended the call, making Hayley groan and lay back down.

***

I'm sorry for the short chapter, the next one will be longer!