33❦

33

❦𝓡𝓸𝓼𝓮❦

 I expected life to be a certain way after Blake picked me up off the cold cement floor.

The way Blake held me told me he wasn't going to let me out of his sight. And I didn't want him to, I was scared to be alone.

What I didn't expect was that not only did Blake stay within a few feet of me at all times, but Bella set up camp in our living room. Ace followed suit, I'm not sure if it was because he was worried about me or he just wanted to be near Bella.

Henry grabbed a sleeping bag and laid just outside our bedroom door. But no one slept, whether we like it or not our brains are processing how our life just changed.

Blake keeps apologizing like clockwork, every few minutes he murmurs another 'I'm sorry'.

He expects me to blame him, I can't. Even if it was his decision to stay in the fight that led to those guys taking me. I know he would never do so on purpose, so what is there to blame him about?

The fact that a decision unknowingly led me to harm? How can I be mad about that? Sure the event terrified me, and I wish it didn't happen, I'm not insane.

But also, they all came for me. It sounds stupid, but more than I am scared, I am happy. Because any doubt that I had about him and my friends caring for me is erased.

My heart feels warm, I lay here with Blake's arms wrapped around me, my eyes refusing to close as I look up at the ceiling.

I may have been the one in immediate danger, but they came for me. They chose to put themselves in a potentially deadly situation just to save me.

I knew they cared about me, but this is just on a totally different level. "You should get some sleep." Blake whispers in my ear.

He tried his hardest not to wake me when we arrived home. But I expect I'll be a light sleeper for quite some time.

The first thing Blake did when we got back was tend to my wrists. Bella helped, her knowledge from working at the veterinary clinic helped them greatly. I didn't realize how badly I had messed up my wrists until Bella had to sterilize a pair of scissors and chop off little bits of my skin.

She grimaced the whole time and by the end her eyes were filled with tears. She broke down, telling me about how it should have been her, how they were after her.

She said life was unfair. But it's not. I held her tightly and told her I was glad they took me instead of here.

I know how to be on this side of the situation, I wouldn't know what to do if they would have taken Bella and done the same things to her.

Sure, it would have been best if it never happened at all. But it did, and I'm glad it happened the way it did.

They hurt me, but I also found out a lot about myself. A few years ago I would have sat silently in that basement. Waiting for my abusers to return and tell me my fate.

Instead, as soon as that door shut I started working on my escape. I had a reason to try, I wanted to see my friends again.

I stood up, slammed the chair against the wall until it broke. When the rope broke free from it I didn't waste a second.

I was ripping my hands out of the rope, hardly feeling the way it cut through me. I didn't care because no physical pain could match the pain of never being able to see my friends again. Or worse, them being hurt because these guys use me as bait.