Chapter 16: The return of a downhill legend

A car is speeding down the mountain at incredible speeds. The car's pop up headlights illuminate the darkness in front of it as its 4AG engine howls making the silent night shift into one of noise. The driver approaches a corner at breakneck speed. They put their toes onto the brake pedal while putting their heel on the gas performing a heel and toe technique. While doing so the driver downshifts their car. They elegantly drift into the corner as the car's tires squeal with smoke coming out the back end of the car. They shift up a gear as they enter a straightaway. The driver lets off the throttle a litte, the car constantly backfires out the exhaust pipe. A hairpin comes out from the darkness as they exit the straightaway into the hairpin. The driver slams on the clutch pedal and lets off the clutch quickly. They clutch kick drift in the corner, the tires squeal in agony as smoke fills the air. The car's back lights make afterimages as they disappear into the darkness. The car gets to the bottom of the mountain and the driver hops out of it. "Oh man, this thing runs better than it ever has before." Uncle Ryan says looking at his Trueno with a smile. A faint glint of many headlights are seen approaching him to go up the mountain to start doing their practice runs. "It seems the locals are here to start their practice runs. It wouldn't hurt to show them a thing or two." Uncle Ryan says as the cars pass him. One was Sydney's maroon 2011 Subaru Impreza WRX STI Coupe. The other one was Michael's black 1998 Toyota Supra. Both cars pass him, he notices another car coming. It passes him and tails the other cars. "That's not one of the locals that's for sure. I know every local who races on this mountain. It looked like a black MR2 SC, same as Jack's car but different color. I have a bad feeling about this." Ryan says with worry as he hops in his gray 1985 Toyota Sprinter Trueno GT Apex. "Time to see what that car is up to." He mumbles as he shifts his car into first gear. Ryan puts the weight of his right foot onto the gas pedal at full force. The tires scream in pain as the back wheels start to spin with smoke coming at the back of the car. The Trueno launches forward at full force as Ryan starts to ascend the mountain.

Sydney notices the car that's been tailing her and Michael from behind. "When did that car get here?! Has it been following us this entire time?!" Sydney exclaims as it passes Michael with zero effort and goes into Sydney's slipstream. "Damn! That guy just passed me without even trying! Am I just really that bad at driving?!" Michael says in frustration as he thinks of the end of a training session he had with her.

...

5 months earlier:

Ashley and Michael are sitting at the top of the mountain. "You're getting better Michael, eventually I think you'll even surpass me." Ashley says with a smile. 'Does she really mean that? There's no way I can hold a candle to her.' Michael thinks to himself as Ashley leans against her black Subaru Impreza 22B. Her long black hair blows in the wind gracefully. The setting sun shimmers over her. "You really think so? There's no way I could surpass you." Michael says as he scratches his head with a saddened expression. "What did I tell you about self doubt, if you doubt your skills you won't improve as a driver. I did the same thing when I started out and look at me now. I'm now the fastest racer up here." Ashley says trying to make Michael feel better. "You don't get it, how will someone like me be able to even compete against you. You're the greatest driver I've seen to even touch a steering wheel." Michael says still with a saddened look in his eyes. "I don't get it? I didn't get here alone, remember. You were the person who got me into cars and racing but you weren't that good. Practice makes perfect, remember that." Ashley says with a gentle smile. Michael's eyes start to water and he drops to the ground. Ashley does the same. "Thank you, I needed that." He says as the tears go down his cheeks. He wipes his face with his sleeve. "No problem I guess, you'll get better, I can count on that." Ashley says as Michael hugs her. 'What the hell am I doing?! My body just moved on its own.' Michael thinks to himself. Ashley puts her arms around him, catching Michael by surprise. "Huh? I thought you hated hugs." Michael says in confusion. "I do, but right now, I don't care." Ashley says with a smile. They both continue their embrace for a solid five minutes. "Hey Ash, you can let go now." Michael says gently. "I don't want to, I want to stay like this for a little while." Ashley says with a smile. Michael brushes his fingers through her hair.