Chapter 18: Purpose and the Expedition

Y/n made a call again with his friends back at the future world.

Kyoya: It's ready. the Freedom armor is ready.

Y/n: Thanks, brother.

opening plays

Right now, the MPB are inspecting the equipment, related to the test subjects elimination.

???: When did you last replace your shaft?

Sasha: 6 days ago, after the mop-up operation.

The MPB is jotting down about it.

???: Records confirm.

???: Alright. You're next.

Krista: Krista Lenz of Squad 42!

???; Equipment check.

Some of the cadets muttered about killing the Titan even when not in battle, is an illegal act against them. On the other side, of the room, Armin and others are lined up.

Connie: Whoever it was, it really hates Titans.

Armin: Mm... But they pretty much helped the Titans, if anything. Maybe it helped quench their thirst for revenge, but it was also a big setback for humanity.

Connie: I'm not too bright, so I think I can relate. Before I actually saw a Titan, I seriously planned on joining the Scouts. Now I never want to see another one again. But today's the day we have to pick a regiment to join.

Connie glanced to his left, and saw Jean clenching his fist.

Connie: 'Is Jean seriously going to...?'

flashback

They meet-up at night for the funeral of their fallen comrades deaths. Jean told about Marco's death, which some were shocked, sad, and some cried like Connie who's unbelieved about it and clenching his head. 

Jean has his thoughts about the whole funeral.

Jean: 'Everyone's having regrets. They never would've chosen to be soldiers if they knew this hell awaited them. Now that they're utterly drained, that's the only thing they can think about.'

He then walks closer to it, now besides with Reiner and the others. He picked up what seems to be shards of flint.

Jean: Marco... I don't know which bones are yours anymore. If I hadn't become a soldier, I never would've had to worry about who's next.