Chapter 22: Decisive Battle

*opening 2 plays*

The center command continues to run on horseback as they're gonna rendezvous outside of the forestry. While doing the task, Hange and Erwin talked about how the Titan wielder can escape from its transformed form as it melts away.

Erwin: When the Colossal Titan disappeared, a pre-equipped ODM gear ensured that the human inside could swiftly escape through the steam. Don't you think the same can be said about this case?

Hange: So then... Considering Eren's condition after reverting back, we can conclude that it isn't similar, right? His equipment was damaged and part of his uniform was gone. Most notably, he was so exhausted that he couldn't even stand or come back to his senses on its own. *sigh* Then we don't need a recap about Y/n's issue now, do we?

Erwin nodded as clear as day he can remember about Y/n's skills and personality.

Erwin: The Female Titan had the ability to call in other Titans. Because we didn't predict that, the plan failed. If powers as a Titan are commensurate with one's skill, then considering a novice like Eren as the norm has been a mistake. In order to outwit the enemy, we need to think outside the box.

Erwin then mentions Y/n's judgment and works while behind their backs.

Erwin: More likely to Y/n's judgements before. Even though he said it personally that we can't always rely on him, his mindful thinking has been giving us some ideas on how to outsmart the enemy we encountered.

Outside of the forests, Jean and the rest are riding up to meet at the rendezvous point.

Jean: Are we withdrawing because the plan was a success?

Armin: If it is, we may have already identified the one who was controlling the Female Titan.

Jean: Then I'd like to see that person, personally. But what made the commander so sure they would chase after Eren and Y/n once they left the walls?

Armin: I think it had to do with why the Titans suddenly stopped attacking during the last incident.

Jean was confused and Armin elaborated.

Armin: Despite managing to break through Trost district's gate, they didn't continue any further and stayed back when Eren sealed the gate with the help of Y/n. Could it have been because they had more pressing concerns?

Jean: Meaning?

Armin: Something even more important than destroying the walls. Remember the unexpected event that happened next.

Jean: *horrified* Eren's transformation and Y/n's Gundam's appearance?

Armin: That's the only thing I can think of.

Jean: So then...

Armin: Someone who was there who saw Eren transform into a Titan and Y/n's Gundam reveal, is the one inside the Titan.

Back in Levi Squad's position, they began to engage the hooded person Y/n faced with.

Y/n is now clashing blades against the person as both of them were just behind the Levi Squad themselves. The person tried to kill Y/n with its ODM skills by swinging side by side on multiple trees before landing a blow.