Book 2-- Chapter 5 The Watcher

I had a horrible nightmare. I shouldn’t have nightmares on my honeymoon, especially after that. I dreamed a bear was attacking me. When I woke up I almost choked on Izzy’s hair. Why did her hair give me black bear dreams? I shook the thought from my head. I smiled down at Izzy. Her head lay on chest. Her one arm was draped across her stomach the other was flung over me. I brushed her hair from my face and she stirred.

“Jace,” She asked.

“No it’s Santa,” I muttered. Izzy said up, grinning. She wrapped the sheet around herself. Her hair fell in unruly tangles.

“What do you want for breakfast?” She asked.

“You,” I answered reaching for her. She jumped up, taking the sheet with her, and ran out of the room. I pulled on a pair of shorts from a drawer and took off after her. She stood at the top of the stairs, the sheet hitched under her arms. I lunged for her. She only laughed and ran down the stairs and into the kitchen. I ran down the stairs and into the kitchen. I smacked into her back.

“Got ya,” I laughed, wrapping my arms around her. She didn’t move or even react. “What?” I looked around the kitchen confused.

“I thought I heard something,” She muttered. She shook her head and turned towards me. I kissed her. She wrapped the sheet around us both. I swept her up and took her back upstairs.

Izzy’s POV

Around four I finally managed to escape when he fell back asleep. I crept to the closet and put some clothes on. I tip toed across the room and stood in the door, smiling. Jace was sprawled out on his stomach in the middle of the bed. I closed the door and ran downstairs to the kitchen.

The fridge was stocked with food. I grabbed a can of Pepsi and a hot pocket from the freezer. I hopped up on the granite counter top as the hot pocket spun in the microwave. I looked out the back window at the woods. I frowned. Earlier I had sworn there was someone standing there. I knew I heard—

“Stop it, Izzy.” I snapped. There was no one there and no one had said anything. The microwave beeped. I took my lunch out and set it on the counter to cool. I heard a thud above my head, Jace rolling out of bed.

“Izzy?” I heard him call.

“Down here!” I called, sipping my drink. Jace walked into the kitchen a few minutes later in jeans and a t-shirt. He ran his hands through his hair.

“What are you eating?” He asked, groggily.

“Hot pocket and no you can’t have some.” I said, sticking my tongue out at him. I took a bite, exaggerating how good it was.

Jace frowned and came and stood between my knees. I took another bite. He twisted a strand of my hair. I took another bite.

“Just one bite?” He asked, flashing his puppy dog eyes. I sighed.

“Just one,” I said, turning it towards him. He took the biggest bite he could. “I should have seen that coming.” I said.

“Yeah you really should have,” He laughed, trying to swallow the mouthful.

“What time are we getting Jack tomorrow?” He asked.

“I told my parents noon,” I said. He stole my Pepsi and drank half of it.

“Noon, hmm, I think we can get a lot done between now and noon tomorrow.” He grinned evilly and kissed my neck.

“Down boy,” I muttered, through my mouthful of hot pocket. I hoped off the counter and skirted away into the living room. I hoped onto the couch as I finished my lunch. Jace launched over the back and down beside me. I crawled to the other side, he followed.