35 - Callum

The organ hidden behind my chest skipped a beat the second my eyes landed on Eloise—the most intriguing and beautiful woman I have met since someone I once thought would be mine forever decided her life wasn't worth fighting for.

Even with Eloise's eye makeup smeared, looking like she had two black eyes, her hair messy, as if she hadn't brushed it in weeks. Bloodshot eyes. And the godawful breath, I wasn't sure if I should hand her a piece of gum or offer her a roll of toilet paper. She was still the most perfect and gorgeous woman to me.

Surprising my girl and seeing her imperfections made it all worthwhile coming here instead of going home first. When I dropped Rory off and saw how Isabelle looked like death had roamed over her, she filled us in on what she, Lilah, and Eloise had done the night before. And when she told me that Eloise was just as goofy as she was the night I carried her out of the nightclub, I knew she'd need me to take care of her.

So here I am, with the girl I couldn't stop thinking about the entire time Rory and I were in San Francisco trying to help a family—during our meetings and as I slept, showered, ate, and drove.

Even though Rory sold me his half of the business to go on his own, we still work together occasionally. And the case we teamed up on in San Francisco was for a family with four young siblings who tragically lost their parents.

Due to the children's medical bills incurred from their stay in the hospital. The medical care they're still receiving from the accident, including mental health care to deal with the loss of their parents, and how they're now familyless and homeless. Rory and I partnered in looking for funds and sponsorship for those kids in exchange for advertisement on our website and marketing ads—making a deal with every corporation we met with.

"How did everything go in San Fran?" a tired yet chipper and smiley Eloise asked.

I smiled, returning my lips to hers, kissing them while doing my best to ignore the foul breath pouring off Eloise's lips. "It went fabulously." My lips curved higher, and I softly chuckled, teasing, "And you thought I had no heart."

She smiled against my lips. "You proved I was wrong. Still, you had no heart when my grandmother passed away."

"I've already apologized for that. Do you need to hear me say it again?"

"Yes," she teased with a grin.

"Eloise McKnight, I apologize for making—scratch that. I apologize for forcing you to work on the day of your grandmother's funeral. It was incentive, cruel, and heartless of me to do. And I will never do that to you again. Ever."

She looked to the ceiling, tilted her head to the side, and bit the inside of her cheek, acting like she was thinking if she should accept my apology.

Her eyes returned to mine, and she finally took the bouquet of roses from me. "I accept your apology. Again."

"Thank you," I replied, trying to figure out how to tell her; her breath reeks like a landfill on a hot summer day.

I followed her into the kitchen, setting the Tylenol and bottle of water on the counter. Then watched her hold her forehead while opening her cupboards, looking for a vase, I assume.

"Why don't you take a couple of headache pills, drink some water, and sit down and relax? I'll worry about the flowers. It's my fault I didn't buy these with a vase. I assumed you had one, or plenty—being a female and all."

She playfully shoved my shoulder. "Just because I'm a female doesn't mean I have a vase or two. Some women out there hate flowers and don't have vases." She smiled. "But you're in luck. Because I'm a sucker for flowers, and I happen to have a few vases. I just can't remember where I put them since it's been over two years since I had a man in my life."