41 - Eloise

Hot.

I'm fucking scorching hot, and I don't know why. Well, I do. But really, I shouldn't be. Callum said he promised to tell me about Victoria tonight after finishing doing whatever he is with his brother, so I should give him the benefit of the doubt; he will keep his promise.

So why can't I shake this weird feeling in my gut—like a woman's intuition feeling assaulting my stomach, and I don't know why. Callum's never given me any reason to think he'll go back to his old ways, and he has done and said everything right to instill in my mind he would never go back to being the man he was.

And I need to believe him.

I also need to trust him—just like he's begged me to do. And I should—he trusts me, so I need to return the credence he so rightfully deserves.

I just hate broken promises.

I can't force Callum to tell me anything about his ex, that's for sure, but the point is, he promised. And I feel like I'm being a pushy bitch trying to get him to open up to me, something he doesn't need to do, yet he does. This is our life, and if he wants me in it, he needs to break down walls, or our relationship will go nowhere; it'll stall because you can't have a future with someone who refuses to rip off their bandages.

I need him to tell me what has been killing him because I want to be the one to help him get through this tragedy that's been haunting him since high school.

I tried finishing the financials Callum needed from the gala event—what we spent, money wasted, what we made, and the total donations since the deadline to donate had passed. But I couldn't think.

And I was hungry.

Grabbing my purse from underneath my desk, I eyed the camera aimed at me, wondering if he was watching me. I wanted to give him the double-fisted two-finger salute I used to show him all day, but I couldn't.

He did nothing wrong other than take a raincheck for lunch.

I need to remind myself he still promised to talk to me—to do something he hasn't even done with his best friends.

I left my office, stopping at Emma's desk on my way out. "Have you had lunch yet?"

She looked up from the computer, shaking her head. "No. Not yet. I brought lunch with me today but haven't eaten it." She aimed at the computer, saying, "Something isn't right here."

I drew my brows together, asking, "What's wrong?"

She shook her head, confusion heavily playing on her face. "Money. Lots. And. Lots. Of money disappeared from Callum's account."

"What?" I squealed, rushing around her desk to see what she was talking about. She tapped her computer screen. "There are two huge withdrawals, one yesterday and one today. And it wasn't me. I've tried calling Callum, but it goes straight to voicemail."

I sighed, then groaned, "I talked to him a little while ago. He said something had come up, and he had to meet with Trent at the club."

Yesterday, four million, and today... one point seven million dollars.

"I've checked all his expenditures; he emailed me last night since the gala event, asking that I balance his bank accounts since he hadn't been keeping track, and those are the only two I can't pair up to anything Callum claimed he spent."

"Maybe he forgot?" I quickly shook my head. Stupid comment since she said he emailed her last night, and the money was withdrawn yesterday afternoon and early this morning. "Forget what I just said. That was a stupid comment. What I mean is... hell. I don't know what I mean. He never mentioned that he spent that kind of money on anything."