18

Aaliyah was already exhausted, it was the first day of Ramadan and she was not having funny at all, coupled with the fact that her mother was hosting an iftar dinner today.
Her mother had decided to try different types of food, from Indian foods to Italian foods. It was something she was trying something new this Ramadan.
"Aaliyah, please hurry with the curry stew. That needs to be ready before our guests arrive" Aminat said to her daughter as she molded the dough.
"I am on it mother, it's just a few minutes past six. We would be done on time InshaAllah" Aaliyah said with a smile.
The women cooked and worked for a while before they were finally done, it was already a few minutes past seven. Their guests would be here soon.
"Go freshen up and dress Aaliyah while I set the table, I placed a dress on your bed" Her mother said, carrying a set of plates to the dinning room.
"Alright mother" Aaliyah answered and ran upstairs to her room.
She took a quick bath and dressed in a while long dress with a black veil over her head. The dress was a bit tight almost showing her beautiful curves.
Just then the adhan (call to prayer) was called which meant they could break their tasting now.
Aaliyah walked to the kitchen to meet her brother and his mother speaking.
"Who do we have here? You look like you're about to pass out" Malik said crossing his arms on his chest.
"If you were spending the past three hours preparing foods, you would look the same" Aaliyah replied to her brother.
"Yeah yeah whatever, Anyways, it's good to see you baby sis" Malik said with a genuine smile pulling Aaliyah in a bear hug.
"It's good to see you too Mally, now let me go" Aaliyah pulled away from his adjusting her dress. "Now, where is my beautiful sister in law?"
"She's in the dinning room helping with the arrangements" Mally replied.
"Alright" Aaliyah replied and walked to the dinning room, "Assalaamu Alaikum Maryam. How are you doing? It's good to see you" she offered a polite smile.
"It's good to see you too, Waalaikum Salaam Liya" Maryam said.
"How has life been? How are you coping with my brother?" Aaliyah asked.
"Alhamdulilah, I give thanks to Allah. We have been good" Maryam responded.
"It's good to hear, let's get everything ready then go pray Magrib" Aaliyah suggested.
"Girls, break your fast before you go to pray. There are dates in that tray" Aminat told the ladies.
A few minutes later, they settled to have their iftar more of their relatives had joined them in the house. An uncle, his wife and their three children .
"Can we start eating now? We are all hungry" The uncle said.
"We....", just then a man walked into the living room with a box in his hands.
"Good evening everyone, iftar Mubarak" Skyler said with a polite smile.
"Good evening Mr Anthony, thankfully you are on time, come sit down here". Aminat said pulling Skyler towards the dining table. "This is Aaliyah's boss Skyler Anthony and Skyler, this is my brother Mr Umar, his wife Mrs Umar and his children. I am sure you still remember my son Malik and his wife Maryam" Aminat introduced them to each other
"Mine to meet you Mr and Mrs Umar" Skyler said politely as he took his seat next to Malik which was opposite Aaliyah.
"It's nice to meet you too Mr Anthony" Mr and Mrs Umar said with a small smile.
"Thank you for coming Mr Anthony" Malik said patting the other man's shoulder lightly.
"I have a gift for you Mrs Salmon" Skyler handed a box over to Aminat
"Oh you didn't have to Skyler but thank you anyways, we should eat now before the food gets cold" Aminat suggested.
They served the food and began to each the food while throwing a little conversation around.
Aaliyah just ate a food in silent, only saying a few words because the older people were having a serious discussion. She looked up to look at Skyler who sat opposite her.
As usual, he was eating with composure and elegance, his hair was held in a small bun, his beards looked neat and clean, it was obvious he just heard them trimmed and cut. He wore a grey colored those which looked fine on him. Aaliyah wasn't sure anyone could wear it better than him.
Just then he raised him head and his piercing Grey eyes held hers, making her hold her breath. He flashed a small smile making her heart skip a beat. She looked away before he could see her face turning red.
She ate her food in silence trying as much as possible not to look at him or in the direction where he sat. The dinner ended and they all moved to living room to rest before they prayed Isha( Night prayers) and taraweeh( prayers offered after isha during Ramadan)
"We have to get going to the mosque, so we don't miss the prayers" Malik announced as he raised to his feet.
"Alright then, I will tell the girls so we will be on our way" Aminat said before disappearing upstairs.
"Can I go with you?" Skyler asked taking Malik by surprise, the man was too stunned to speak. "I mean.. I hope I will be allowed to..like.. you know join the prayers" Skyler asked rubbing his palms together.
"Well...I..I mean of course you can, the mosque is always opened for you" Malik said with a bright smile.
Thankfully, the mosque was just a ten minutes walk from their house. Malik, Mr Umar and Skyler had already gotten to the mosque before Aminat and the other women joined.
Skyler stood nervously as he observed the mosque, it was a big mosque which was covered in white color. "It is beautiful" Skyler murmured z
"Yes it is" Malik smiles as they went to stand in line to prepare for prayers. "Are you good?"
"Yes I am, thank you" Skyler said as he stood beside Malik, his heart beating widely in his chest. If someone had told him he would be in a mosque preparing to pray one day he would have laughed in their face but here he was actually in a mosque preparing for prayers. He had no idea why he had said he wanted to join them but something in him wanted to be here, he didn't feel like a stranger in the mosque it felt like his home.
Warmth spread across him veins when he heard the adhan.
He swallowed the lump in his throat, it was the most beautiful thing he had ever heard, he had heard the call to prayer before but this one was different, it did things to him and his heart. His hands shook as he followed what the other men where doing.
And when his forehead head touched the ground, he felt total peace, kind of peace he hadn't felt before. He closed his eyes as he enjoyed the beautiful feeling. There was one thing he was sure of, he truly belonged here.