30: Reconciliation

Night had fallen, reluctantly everyone had left for home as visiting hours were long gone. Isabella sat up slowly in the hospital bed, frowning in the semi-darkness that blanketed the room. She couldn't find it in herself to actually fall asleep after everything that had transpired just a few short hours ago. Simple put, she was terrified, fearing that now she was alone, Slade would somehow return to finish the job. She sighs to herself softly. "Overthinking is gonna get me nowhere". She tells herself. Laying down, she closed her eyes, praying for sleep to come.

A nurse came the following morning and checked her over, announcing to Isabella's delight that she was in the clear for discharge in a few hours. She was prescribed pain meds and lots of rest to heal quickly. She nodded in agreement, happy that she would be home soon.

Michael was pacing holes in the living room floor, Julian, Quinn, Nate and Mikey occupying random seats before him. "So you've been doing underground fighting all this time?" He faces Mikey who nods. "And you two?" He gestures to Julian and Nate who both nodded a yes. Michael taps his fingers against his jeans. "If we were to get that bastard on record admitting to everything he's done, he'd go down for life. We've had numerous evidence piling against him for years, but nothing concrete that would take him down. This could be it".

Mikey stands up abruptly. "He's not gonna go down without a fight Dad, we all know that". Michael faces him. "This is my job son. This is what I do. Don't think for a second I'm gonna let you put yourself in danger". Mikey rolls his eyes. "So you're expecting that he's gonna spill his guts to the FBI? He knows about you Dad". Michael frowns, he slings his jacket off the coat hanger. "I'm heading to the station to get things in place, stay here". Quinn gets up meeting him at the door. He stops when she tentatively rests a hand on his shoulder, taking note of the bags under her eyes, her pale skin, the smile that was lost on her lips.

She licks her lips nervously. "I know this isn't the right time Michael, but I just can't help thinking how close we were to even think about attempting giving this relationship a second chance, and between the baby-". She stops biting back tears. "I know I hurt you by cheating Michael, and I will never forget that as long as I live. I still love you so much, so much more than words could explain. I just wanted you to know that. I want you to know that I'll be here waiting for you when you come back no matter how long it'll take to earn your trust and forgiveness. I was such a fool to let what we had slip away like that".

Silence ensued for a few minutes, before she felt his strong arms wind around her waist, pulling her against his body. She cranned her neck to look up at him, his eyes glimmering in love and hope as he dipped his head to capture her in a kiss that made her toes curl. He pulls away to rest his forehead to hers as she struggled to catch her breath. "I'll hold you to that Quinn". Then he was gone.

After Quinn had left to go upstairs, Julian, Nate and Mikey all got into Mikey's car. Mikey shot a look over his shoulder at Julian in passenger seat and Nate in the back. "So we're all in right? No one's feeling the need to back out?"

"Fuck no". Julian scoffs. Nate nodded in agreement and then they were off. Into the unknown where there was only two possible outcomes. They take Slade down...or maybe they'd die trying. Images of an innocent, beautiful Bella flickered behind his closed eyes. Was he already seeing his life flash before his eyes? Cause that's what she was. His entire life and no one was taking her from him. No one.