28: A Fighting Chance

A few minutes after Mikey's departure, the door opened and Julian made his way inside. The smile he gave her was a light one, trying to mask how scared he was for her, and the anger he held for his family.

He took a seat beside her, pulling her hand into his, interlacing their fingers together. He glances down at their hands. It was one of the things he loved the most about her, how perfectly they fit together, molding together to become one. How quickly she wiggled herself into his heart, how quickly he fell for her. He met her eyes. "I love you Bella", he says softly.

She leans forward, cupping his cheek. "I love you too Julian". The smile that graced his lips made her heart leap. Resting his forehead against hers, he brought his lips down on hers gently, pouring everything into that one kiss, hoping she'd feel what he felt whenever she was around. Tangling her fingers in his ear she moans against his lips.

Pulling apart cheeks flushed, she grins at him. "What was that for?", she asks breathless. Julian smirks. "Do I need a reason to kiss you?" She couldn't wipe the smile off her face. She rested a hand on her cheek. "I look like crap don't I?"

His eyes grew hard, taking in her swollen eye, and bruised cheeks. "You look beautiful all the same to me Bella. I'm sorry I couldn't reach you on time". She frowns. "It wasn't your fault Julian".

He pulls away from her touch. "It is my fault Isabella. Slade is my uncle, he did this because of me". Isabella sighs. "Have my parents arrived yet?" Julian shrugs. "I'm not sure, I called them when we got here, so they'll be on their way". Isabella nods, leaning back on the bed. "Why did he attack me Julian? Your uncle". Julian frowns. He knew she would ask this, but he wasn't prepared with an answer. His lips parted to answer when the door opened.

Quinn and Michael ran in, Quinn's eyes flooded with tears. She clung to Isabella. "I'm fine Mum", she tried reassuring them, but they weren't buying it. "Who did this?" Michael seethes, his eyes running over her body.

Julian clears his throat. "Can I speak to you outside Mr. Wilde?" Michael nods, glancing at Isabella as if she'd disappear when he turned his back. She gave him another smile. He left with Julian, closing the door.

Quinn sat beside her, resting her palm on Izzy's hand. "Are you sure you're okay?" Izzy nods. "No broken bones, no concussion, no internal bleeding. I'm fine Mom, plus I'll be out soon, I'm only staying till tomorrow for observation". Quinn forces a smile. "I couldn't bear the thought of loosing you too Izzy. First your brother and then the baby", she took a shaky breath. "I'm glad you're okay honey", she says softly, fighting back the tears.

Isabella faces her mother. She had lost a lot of weight in the days that went by following the loss of the baby, and it pained her to see her mother like that. She looked utterly broken.

Quinn smiles at her. "I'm glad you're okay". Isabella nods.

Julian stopped in the empty hallway, Michael behind him. "So what do you want to talk about?" Julian clears his throat. "My uncle. Slade Austin". Michael's eyebrows furrow in confusion. "I know him, have been trying to put him behind bars for years now, we didn't know he had family". Julian shrugs. "He does". Julian sighs. "It's my fault, what happened to your daughter Sir, Slade wanted to use her to get to me".

Michael frowns. "And are you involved?" Julian shook his head. "Not anymore, look, I just want to put Slade away for good, I don't care what happens to me, but I put Bella in danger the second I met her, and I plan on rewriting my wrongs".

Michael's swept over him. "You're willing to go against him?" There was no hesitation on Julian's part. "I am". Michael crosses his arms. "I admire your courage, but I'm not letting you do it. I'm a detective kid. I'll handle it".

"You can't do it alone. You need my help. Surely you know Slade is a ticking time bomb. How long do you think he'll wait before attacking again. You can't stop me Mr. Wilde. I created this mess, and I'm gonna finish it". 

A voice behind them interrupted. "I believe I am the one responsible. Hello Dad".