27: Unexpected

Two hours earlier

Julian hopped off his bike, Mike's and Nathaniel's car were already there, so he made his way into the old barn, pulling the huge doors shut behind him.

Nate pushed himself off the wall meeting Julian in the middle. "So what's the plan?" Both heads turned to Mikey. "What do you suggest, you've worked for Slade the longest". Mikey shrugs. "But you're his nephew, he trusted you, or at least he did". Julian nods. "Family means nothing to Slade".

Mikey sighs. "We need to get Slade off the board and quick, he called me in his office today, that's why I wanted to meet with you two, especially you Julian".

Julian urges him to continue with a nod. "He wanted me to beat you up Julian, if you didn't agree to fight for him, and he threatened my sister. So whatever you guys have planned I want in on it".

Nate nods. "Tell him who your sister is Mikey". Mikey frowns. "Isabella is my sister, your girlfriend".  Julian's mouth dropped from shock. "She's never mentioned a brother, neither have her parents. There are no pictures of you at her place".

Mikey nods. "I know. When I was fifteen, we were going through a rough patch, my parents and I. I rebelled a lot, that's how I met Slade. I ran away when I turned sixteen and he trained me. I stayed away from them for seven years. I recently came back a few months ago." He sighs. "This is all my fault", he mumbles stuffing his hands in his pockets.

"Does he know where you are?" Nate asks. "I'm not an idiot
I covered my tracks, there's no way he can know where I am". Nate nods, although still not quite convinced.

"So what do we have against Slade? We need something". Julian says. Mikey perks up. "I have an idea, but it's a risky one, for all of us". Nate and Julian nod and Mikey continues.

"Slade isn't all cold hearted as he pretends to be, well he is and some, but he has this club, The Green Mantis. There is a panic room in the basement, where he has all his documents, he likes to take praise in his work, he has evidence of every murder, every crime he has ever committed ready for us to take to the right persons."

Nate frowns. "That sounds stupid, why would he keep all that dirt on himself? Why not burn them? And how do you even know that?"

Mikey shrugs. "I've heard about it from the other fighters".

Julian steps forward. "And you trust them? For all we know they could be coercing with him".

"Well it's the only option we have, and whether you guys want to help or not, I'm doing this." Mikey says. "I'm gonna check in on them, it's time they knew I was back". Julian nods, just as his phone vibrated in his pocket. A message from Isabella

You're uncle's here, he wants to talk to you.

Julian froze.
Get out of the house-

He turned to Nate and Mickey. "We have a problem", he rushes out. "Slade is with Isabella, there's no limit to what he'll do to her".

"We won't reach her in time", Mickey grits out. "The house is roughly a three hour drive from here". He ran to his car. "We have no time to waste". Nate and Julian followed suit.

The house was too quiet for Julian's taste, he had gotten there first, just as Mickey's and Nate's cars screeched to a halt behind him. Mickey rushed pass him, shouting his sister's name.

"Check downstairs", he says, dashing up the stairs.

Mikey had no time to take in the new pictures that lined the walls, since he left, instead he focused on finding his sister, rushing up the staircase to her room, faltering in his steps at the form of his sister slumped on the floor.

"I found her!" He yells. His fingers twitched as he pulled her into his arms. "Wake up Izzy", he says slapping her cheek lightly. Her body was badly bruised. Julian and Nate ran in. "We need to get her to the hospital", Julian says assessing her injuries.

They got in Mikey's car, Nate drove while Julian and Mikey held Izzy in the backseat. 

Isabella had developed a deep hatred for hospitals over the past few months, her mother loosing the baby, Julian getting mugged and now she was there, the beeping of the heart monitor was slow. She pulled herself into a sitting position, everything from before hitting her like a tidal wave.

Slade attacking her in her home, and then.....Mikey. She froze as the heart monitor accelerated. Was she dreaming? Had she imagined him?