10: Sick

The walk back was quiet and a bit tense. Isabella cleared her throat, trying to lesson the awkwardness. "I had a great time Julian". He glances at her with a slight smile. "I did too".

Back at the cabin everyone had already awoken, busy preparing breakfast. Maria winks at her, hurrying to her side. "Em and I want all the details", she says in a hushed voice. Isabella rolls her eyes. "We went for a walk guys, not halfway across the world". Maria groans. "So?" Bella sighs. "It was nice okay Maria?"

"Tsk, tsk, tsk, still holding out on me Izzy, I can feel it". Izzy laughs. "I am?" Maria nods. "Yup, and it won't be long till you spill the beans". Izzy smiles.

"We should like totally get drunk", Maria suggests, moving to the door that led to the basement. Izzy groans. "Not again Maria. We should be getting ready to head back soon, so we'll get home before nightfall".

"You're such a buzz kill Izzy", she pouts. "But she's right, I'm gonna soak up some sunlight, you two coming?" Emma adds in.

Maria sighs in disappointment.

Emma and Maria went outside, and Izzy took the time to finish her book on the balcony.

She could see them out on the dock, laughing and taking dips in the water. Julian was on the edge of the dock, his feet in the water. He looks up, as if he could feel her eyes on him and smiled. She smiled back, and looked away, trying to pay attention to the book she was reading, or more like stuck on the same page for the past fifteen minutes, Julian the main source of her distraction.

She couldn't seem to pry her eyes away from him, no matter how hard she tried to.

When she looked up again, he was gone, a tap on her shoulder made her shriek in shock, pressing a hand to her racing heart, and sending a glare to a sheepish looking Julian. He clears his throat, trying to stop the slow grin that was spreading over his face.

"Sorry", he says. Izzy sighs. "It's okay". He took a seat in the lounger opposite her, plucking the book from her hands. "You've gotta take a break Bella". She frowns. "This is me taking a break", she says. He pecks her cheek, pulling her easily onto his lap. "I have other ways we can spend our time", he says, his voice dropping to a husky tone.

She laughs. "Doing what?"

"I wanna take you on a date Bella, as soon as we get back". She rests her forehead against his. "We have school tomorrow".

"We can go Tuesday", he says.

"We can't miss school", she defends.

"Sure we can, it's pretty easy, I've done it plenty of times, no big deal". She rolls her eyes.

"My dad would kill me if he ever finds out".

"Then we won't let him. What do you say? Monday?"

She leans against his chest. "This won't end well Julian". He squeezes her waist gently. "It will, I promise". She sighs. "Okay, I'll come". He kisses her forehead. "You won't regret it Bella", he whispers.

Soon enough they were on their way back home, Julian dropping them off at their homes. He had walked her to her door that night. "You haven't changed your mind have you?"

Shaking her head, she watched him smile. "I haven't Julian, my dad's inside, so I'll see you tomorrow okay?" He kisses her cheek, "Perfect". He waited till she had gone inside, before going down the steps and walking to his house.

Izzy hadn't faked sick since she was a kid, which didn't end well, as she was faking sick, to not go to the doctor. Smiling at the memory. Michael had gotten home pretty late that night, coming in to check on her, kissing her forehead before leaving the room and heading to his own.

Sitting up in bed, Izzy couldn't but let her mind wander. What did Julian mean, that he wasn't good for her? That kept her up for most of the night.

The next morning she woke up with a splitting headache, and her nose red and stuffy. Sneezing into a Kleenex, she throws it into the garbage bin in the bathroom.

"Just great", she mumbles at her reflection. She met Michael downstairs, who was making a fresh pot of coffee in the kitchen. "Morning Papa", she says, taking a seat around the kitchen's island. "Morning sweetie. You look terrible", he chuckles. Izzy rolls her eyes. "Ha, ha, ha", she says sarcastically. "You should stay home. Do you want me to stay with you, I can call in a favour?"

She shook her head. "That's fine Papa, I'll be okay. I'm going back to bed". Michael nods. "Okay then".

She made her to her room, locking the door, and getting into bed.