21: Awake

Her heart hammered in her heart, blocking out everything else, as she rushed to his side, dropping on her knees. His head was slumped forward, and for a brief moment, she thought he was dead.

Pressing her fingers to his neck, she rejoiced at the familiar rhythm of his heartbeat, no matter how faint and slow it felt. She held his head up. "Julian!" She calls out. She lifts up his blood soaked shirt, grimacing at the large gash across his stomach, bruises littering his skin. His face was worse, his nose was broken, one eye swollen shut.

She rushed to her phone, then back to his side. She rested a hand on his cheek, slapping him. "Stay with me Julian. I'm gonna call an ambulance okay?" One eye snapped open, his mouth parting slowly. "No hospital, call...Michael". She frowned, but did as told. She quickly explained everything to her father, and five minutes later, his heavy footsteps were rushing towards them.

Izzy was pressing a towel against his stomach. Michael gently pried her away from him, assessing Julian's wounds. "We have to get him to a hospital, Michael says, already picking up Julian, and dashing through the door. Izzy followed behind him quickly, her heart thumping wildly.

Praying, praying that he would stay, that she wouldn't lose him. Tears sprung from her eyes, as she held Julian in her arms on the ride to the hospital.

As soon as they got out of the car, Michael shouted for help.

Isabella could hear nothing, but the beat of her heart, it was as if she was dunked underwater. Tears burned her eyes, as she rapidly blinked them away, to focus on the stretcher being wheeled inside.

The question of how he came to be like this, floating around in her head. Each situation tearing away at her heart. She couldn't lose him, not now, not ever, not when things were so great with them. She didn't think she could bear it, bear losing him.

You won't lose him. She tried persuading herself, sitting in the waiting room alone, she cried.

Michael was talking to other detectives down the hall. When he was finished he returned to Izzy's side. He took a deep breath. "He's still in surgery Izzy, but they managed to retrieve two bullets  from his lower abdomen. Do you know anything of his injuries Izzy?" He asks. She shook her head. "I found him like that", she didn't even recognize her own voice, which was croaky from crying.

Michael pulls her into a hug. "I'm sure he's a strong kid Izzy. He'll pull through". She nodded against his chest, sorrow burying itself deeper into her heart.

One hour, two, three, four....
Why couldn't time move faster? Why were they taking so long? Were they trying to find a way to break the news to her? Heels clicked against the white-tiled floor and she looked. "Oh poor baby". She launches herself into her mother's arms as Quinn kissed her forehead. "I came as soon as I heard. Is there any news on his improvement?"

Izzy shook her head. "He'll be fine Isabella", Quinn assures her.

Mrs. Turner, his aunt  was present too, her eyes puffy and red. She wiped her eyes. "His mother will be here soon, his father....not so much", she scowls at the end angrily, dabbing away her tears.

The three of them took a seat, Izzy's crying turning into silent irregular sniffles. Another hour passed, before another set of boots, squeaked against the floor. They all looked up at the doctor, "Family of Justin Austin?" They all stood and the doctor approached them. "Mr Austin has just come out of surgery, we were able to remove the bullets from his lower torso, he's in the clear for now. He's asleep now, but when he wakes you can visit". Everyone released breaths of relief. Tears of happiness sprung to her eyes. He was going to be fine. He would be fine.

After a bit of persuasion from her father, she reluctantly left to return home. A shower would be nice, and something to eat. When she returned home, her phone was blowing up with messages from Elliot, Maria and Emma, voicing their concern. She called them to tell the good news.

It took nearly three hours for them to clean down the bloody mess that had been made.

Quinn was in the kitchen, making hot chocolate, after Izzy was done with her shower. She took a seat beside her mother, nursing the warm cup of chocolate before her, deep in thought. Quinn rested her hand on Izzy's. "He'll be fine hun, just watch and see". Izzy nods.

When she grew tired, she dragged herself to bed, pulling the covers over her body. She had felt like crying, every time she swept the sponge across the blood-soaked floor. What if she'd arrived home late? Or she was stuck in traffic....he probably would've died. She couldn't help but cry herself to sleep, angry helpless tears racing down her tear-stained cheeks.

She woke up the following morning with what seemed like a dark cloud looming over her head. She got dressed, grabbed an apple from the fruit bowl on the counter in the kitchen, before dashing out the house to get a drive from her father to the hospital.

Mrs. Turner was already there, with a taller female, with vibrant grey eyes. The woman spotted Izzy, and a smile made its way onto her lips. "So you must be Isabella", she says. Izzy nods. "Yes." The woman pulls her into a hug. "I am Ingrid, his mother, I wished we had met under normal circumstances".

"Is he awake?" Izzy questions. Ingrid nods. "He was asking for you". Ingrid led her to the door, and Izzy stared through the glass at Julian. His eyes were closed, his fingers tapping to an unknown beat, then his eyes flew open as if he knew she was there. She stared at him what seemed to be for eternity, before she spun the doorknob and walked in.