22: A Promise

Izzy closed the door behind her, her eyes settling on Julian, the tubes running in and out of his body, and the soft beat from the heart monitor. She made her way over to him, twisting her fingers in nervousness. She was this close to loosing him. Tears had already begun to pool in her eyes as she looked up at him. As if reading her thoughts, Julian reached out a hand to her, and when she was close enough, she held his hand.

"I'm okay Bella", he reassures her with a weak smile. She nodded, resisting the urge to literally throw herself in his arms. He pats the bed beside him. She sat beside him, her eyes drifting over his body, settling on the bruises coating his body. "What happened?" She chokes out.

He wraps an arm around her shoulder. "I got jumped on the way home", he says. Julian watched as her lower lip trembled, a telltale sign that the waterworks would begin. "Hey, Bella. I'm fine. He reaches for her free hand resting it on his chest. "You feel that right? My heart beating. I'm not going anywhere okay?" She nodded. "I-I thought I'd lose you Julian. I couldn't cope loosing another person I love". Julian frowns.

Her fingers clenched around the fabric of the hospital gown he had on. She looked up at him. "I love you Julian", she whispers, but he heard her, his eyes wide. His fingers stroked her cheek. "I love you more Bella", she laughs, resting her forehead on his.

Silence encompasses them. A knock on the door made them pull apart. Ingrid walked in, a grim expression on her face. "I've got bad news Julian", she says. Julian frowns. "He's here isn't he?" Ingrid nods. Julian sighs. "I don't want to see him Mom". Ingrid nods. "I know, just came to give you a heads up, he's on his way". Julian groans. "Fine." Ingrid smiles at Izzy. "We should get together soon, Isabella. I'd like to get to know the girl who captured my son's heart", heat crawled up her neck and settled on her cheeks. "That would be nice Ms. Raye." Ingrid left, closing the door.

Julian kisses her cheek. The door opens a few minutes later, and a tall man walked in, closing the door. His body was thick with muscles, tattoos darting under the sleeve of the shirt he wore. Light blonde hair was gelled back, dull green eyes matching his persona. Izzy gulped. Anyone would have to be incredibly dumb not to realise that he was Julian's father. He was an exact replica of his father. She releases Julian's hand, as she got off the bed, pressing a kiss to his forehead. "I'll be outside okay", she tells him. Julian nods, watching as Izzy left the room.

As soon as the door was closed, it was as if a tidal wave of tension swept over the room. Julian pulled his gaze from him staring straight ahead, gritting his teeth angrily, clenching and unclenching his fists.

"What are you doing here?" He demands. His father releases a breathy sigh. "I'm still your father Julian. Whether you want me to be or not". Julian rolls his eyes with an annoyed scoff. "So you're gonna play the I'm your father card huh? Well it's too late for that".

Tomas sighs. "I know, and I'm sorry son, for what I did to your mother, and to you, that will never be something I can forget".

Julian scoffs. "Making this about yourself again. What about when you put Mom in the fucking hospital? Are you sorry for that? Or when every other time you've laid you're grimy hands on her? To the point she still can't sleep at night, because of what you've done? I don't care why you're here, you need to leave".

Tomas swears under his breath. "I deserve that, and much more, but I'm trying Julian." He clears his throat. "What happened?" He gestures to Julian, who again rolled his eyes. "Like you care, you and Slade are the same. Why don't you ask him what happened", he snaps. Tomas frowns. "Slade did this? He.....shot you?" Julian shook his head, whispering under his breath. "He ordered them to do this. This is all your fault. He's trying to get back at you."

Tomas shook his head. "My brother wouldn't-"

"He wanted me dead, end of story, and when he finds out the job wasn't done, he'll be coming after me, Isabella too. And if anything happens to her....". He left his threat dangling, just as the door swung open and in he walked, Slade.

Izzy stood beside his uncle, who had an arm slung around her shoulder. "Your girlfriend here is quite the little comedian, nephew", he chuckles.

Isabella who was completely unaware of the hostile environment she had lodged herself in, laughs along with Slade.
"I'm sorry for what happened Julian", Slade says. Izzy nods solemnly, biting her lip. Julian gestures her over, not wanting his uncle to even be within breathing distance of her.

Tomas led Slade outside the room, and Julian tugged Izzy into his arms, wincing at the pain that shot through him, the pain meds were already wearing off, but it was worth the pain seeing her safe.

He wanted to warn her about him, but what would he say? Oh hey babe, my uncle is a complete nut case, who tried to kill me, and possibly you too, so stay away okay?

Fuck no, he'd have to make sure he was at her side at all times. He brought her into this mess unknowingly, and he'd fight tooth and nail to get her out if it. That was one promise he vowed to keep.

His father returned this time without Slade, and Julian sighed in content. Tomas stood at the door for a few awkward minutes, before he cleared his throat. "I'll take care of your uncle Julian", he gave a nod to Izzy, before letting himself out.

Izzy strokes his arm. "The detectives will be here soon to question you okay?" Julian nods. She kisses his forehead. "You scared me Julian". He sighs. "I know I did Bella, I promise I'll try not to get jumped again", she laughs against his chest. "You can't promise me that", her expression grew serious. "Just promise me that you won't leave me". He gives her a quick kiss. "Now that's something I can promise".

Before he could dose off, he heard her mumble. "One funeral was enough. I don't want to attend another", leaving him to wonder, who she had lost.