3: Falling Out

Isabella wiggles into a pair of dark ripped jeans, and a blue top. She slides into a pair of black converse, lacing it up, and grabbing her phone and purse. Michael was downstairs, at the table sipping his morning coffee, the newspaper in one hand. He looks up at her. "I'm going out with Josh, then after, shopping with Mom".

Her heart clenched at the look on his face at the mention of her mother. She slides into the seat beside him. "You still love her don't you Papa?" Michael frowns, but doesn't answer. Isabella smiles. "Mom misses you Papa, despite the divorce", she tells him. His eyebrows furrowed in concentration. "What did she say?" He asks. Isabella smiles. "That she misses movie nights, us". Michael shook the smile from his face.

"I can't forgive her for cheating on me Izzy, no matter how much I want her back, no matter how much I love her". Isabella nods. "I understand Papa". She kisses his cheek. "Well I'm off then, I promise to call as soon as I meet Josh".

"Love you Papa, be safe at work".
"Love you too Izzy".

She leaves the house, walking outside. "I thought we were gonna meet at Bettina's Parlor", she says, looking at Josh who was leaned against his car. Arms crossed, dark shades, propped on his nose.

He was in a checkered black and grey button down shirt, and dark jeans, a pair of black  shoes.

"I couldn't leave my beautiful girl to take a cab by herself, when I could pick her up, like the gentleman I am". She walks towards him. "That's nice of you", she smiles, kissing his cheek. He holds her hand, opening the door to the car for her. She heads into the car, buckling in herself.

"I was thinking after ice cream, we could go to the beach", Joshua suggests. "That sounds nice Josh, but I promised Mom I'd go shopping with her today".

He pulls into an empty spot before the building, getting out and walking to the other side to help her out. "Have you given any thought to what you'll do when you leave school?" He asks. Isabella shrugs. "I'm not sure actually, I don't think I wanna go to college". Josh frowns. "I always thought you'd wanted to go college", he says, opening the door.

They ordered and went to sit to wait on their ice cream. The bowl was placed before them, two layered, with vanilla and chocolate. She dug into the chocolate side, almost moaning as the sweet nectar touched her tongue.

She swirls it in her mouth, savoring the taste before swallowing. She looks up finding his eyes on her, which was filled with amusement. "What?" She says. He shook her head with a laugh. "You're very cute when you eat", he says making her smile. She leans back in the seat. "I want to play cupid", she says after a few moments of silence. Josh frowns, licking the ice cream from his lips before speaking.

"With who?"
"My parents". Joshua groans, the smile still on his face. "Leave them be, Izzy, it's clear they have issues to sort through". Isabella frowns. "But the point is that they love each other". Josh nods. "You shouldn't meddle Izzy". She rolls her eyes at him. "I thought you'd at least support me on this", she says.

Joshua sighs. "Not this again Izzy, I find it stupid playing cupid to two people who hate the sight of each other". He sighs, running his fingers through his short hair. "I'm sorry Izzy", he murmurs. She pushes the chair back. "I'm leaving", she mutters. Before he could stop her, she was out the building, speed walking along the sidewalk, not looking where she walked, until she felt herself slam into someone. The person groans, and so did she, she pulls herself off the ground, looking up, and up. Her heart thumped against her chest.

"Sorry there", he spoke, squishing out the cigarette that had fallen to the ground beneath his feet. She nods. His green eyes flickered over her body, resting on her face. "You scratched your face", he says, motioning to her cheek. She presses her finger against it gently, feeling the dull throb.

He was in a black t-shirt, a leather jacket over it and dark ripped jeans and black sneakers, blonde hair slicked back, his skin tan. "I've seen you around". He says, trying to place her face. She frowns not remembering him.

He snaps his finger in realization. "Star Valley High right?" She nods slowly. He smiles. "I'm Julian, Julian Austin, I'm new, well a week new". She laughs. "I haven't seen you around", he nods. "Well I got to go, maybe you can show me around at school", he says. She nods. "Yeah, I'm Isabella by the way", she holds out her hand which he shakes, his skin warm, and his palm rough.

"Hey Izzy-". Josh stops. "Who's this?" He asks, question directed to the stranger. They release hands. "This is Julian, Julian this is Joshua", she introduces them. Josh laughs. "She's out your league pal, find yourself another girl", he says, eyes narrowed.

Julian laughs, but says nothing. "I'm still on for that tour Bella", he says walking away. Joshua was fuming by now. "Bella?" He scoffs. "He's calling you Bella? Stay away from white trash Izzy". She turns to glare at him. "So is my father?" He shook his head. "I didn't mean-".

"Leave me alone Josh". She walks away from in, anger bubbling up in her. She knew just what she needed, shopping would help her cool down.