16: Dinner

Isabella returned to her room taking a quick shower, and getting dressed in a red off the shoulder top, high waisted skinny jeans and a pair of converse. She did her hair in a tight bun, a few tendrils curled against her ear. She had previously been helping her father prepare dinner, Quinn had messaged that she'd be there in about five minutes, so she hurried to the front door, where Michael was letting in Julian.

"Thanks for the invite Mr. Wilde". Julian shook hands with Michael.

Julian was in a checkered blue and white dress shirt, and dark jeans. She noticed how nervous he seemed to be, which was unexpected. His blonde hair was gelled back, a few strands poking upwards.

His tattoos were hidden under his shirt, she knew her father didn't approve of that. "Come with me to the kitchen Julian", Michael instructs. She didn't interfere with their talk, as she was about to close the door, she saw her mother.

She opens the door wider, letting in Quinn, who was more than nervous.

"Hey Mom". Izzy hugs her, closing the door. Quinn nods with a small smile. "Hey hun, where's your father?" She jerked her thumb towards the kitchen. Quinn nods, walking to the kitchen, to Izzy's surprise, both her father and boyfriend weren't in a heated argument like she had expected, but drinking beer and talking about the last game on TV.

He stopped laughing upon meeting his ex wife's eyes. Clearing his throat he spoke. "I didn't think you'd show". Quinn shrugs. "I'm here now, how about that dinner? Cause I'm starving".

Michael chuckles. They went into the living room, there were four seats, so Izzy quickly took a seat beside Julian, forcing her mother and father to sit side by side.

There was a huge bowl in the middle of the table. "Papa made your favourite Mom, Chicken Fettuccine Alfredo".
Quinn smiles sparing a glance at her ex-husband, who was busy sharing dinner, avoiding her eyes. "It's nothing really", he says. Izzy rolls her eyes. It wasn't nothing. He had spent hours trying to find the perfect meal, as if trying to impress Quinn.

He took his seat and they held hands as they prayed. Afterwards they dug in. Quinn was the first to compliment him, he smiled, returning to his meal. Quinn and Michael asked Julian questions about the direction of his future, goals and aspirations. Izzy was stunned by how happy her parents were about his reply.

"I'm looking forward to building my own business Mr. Wilde, a robotics engineering company, my mother taught me everything I know, she's famous for a dating app we had created together a few years back, Cupid.com. And I'm gonna follow in her footsteps". Michael nods with a slight chuckle. "That's impressive, and your father?"

Julian clears his throat. "My father is not in the picture anymore, he hurt my Mum, so I kicked him out".
Silence.

"That's terrible", Quinn says.

Julian shrugs. "It's okay Mrs. Wilde, that was years ago".

Quinn nods. Izzy saw how her father kept stealing glances at her mother, and the sight alone warmed her heart. After dinner was done with, they had dessert, a chocolate peanut butter cake that Quinn had baked for dessert.

Julian and Izzy volunteered to do the dishes, giving Michael and Quinn time to talk in the living room. "The school's dance is coming up soon", Julian says, washing a dish in the sink, passing it to Izzy to rinse and dry. "Oh", she replies.

Julian stops to look at her. "So, do you uh....want to go?" Izzy shrugs. "I haven't given it much thought to be honest".

Julian continues to wash the dishes. "Me either. But I thought you'd like to".

"It's not my scene really, plus I can't even dance". Julian chuckles. "Neither can I, I can't believe we'll be graduating in less than two months". Izzy nods in agreement.

At nine, his phone rang. He knew who was calling. Slipping out the back, putting distance between himself and the house, he answered. "What do you want Uncle?" Silence followed. "I'm staring at an empty ring Julian. I wonder why that is". Julian ran a shaky hand through his hair. "I'm busy Uncle". Slade chuckles. "Busy with what? You're new pet looks positively scrumptious nephew. Why don't we keep it that way huh?" Gritting his teeth, Julian glanced around.

Slade chuckles. "Just kidding. What do you take me for boy? You wound me, I'm nothing like my brother. I don't attack women. You on the other hand, not so much".

The creaking of the steps drew his attention behind him. His stomach dropped. "I'll be right there Uncle", he says hanging up. "You're leaving", she says. Julian nods. "I am, but I'll make it up to you. It's a family emergency". She stretches upwards, wrapping her arms around his neck. "And you'll have to make it up to me". His eyes sparkled under the moonlight. Leaning down he pressed his lips against hers, parting her lips slowly, wanting to taste her. She moans into his mouth, enjoying the feel of his warm palms running over her arms, and down to her waist. Pulling away reluctantly, he leans his forehead against hers.

"How about you, me and the beach, we can skip school Monday, there's not a lot happening-".

"And junk food too". He chuckles, tightening his grip around her. "That sounds perfect Bella". He shoots another look to the house. "Did your Mom tell him yet?" He asks. Izzy nods with a wry smile. "She has, and Papa is pissed she hid it from him. I came out to give them time to talk". He presses another kiss to her lips. "I'll see you soon".