20: A Bloody Mess

Silence, unbearable, nerve racking silence that stretched for minutes. Silence that Julian hated. He noted the hesitation in her confused eyes, the way her chest rose and fell with each shaky breath. Fuck. He messed up, big time.

He shouldn't have done that, he should have waited. What if he had now ruined the only good relationship he'd ever had? She'd dump him, then he'd inevitably wallow in self pity and anger.  He pushed himself off his knees and cleared his throat. "I should go then", he says, scratching the nape of his neck awkwardly. Her eyes found his and she wrapped her fingers around his. "No, we should talk about this Julian." She led him to the bed, sitting, while he took a seat beside her.

She stared at the small box, then at him. "You'd really want to marry me Julian?" He gave her a small smile. "Yes. But I'm sorry if I freaked you out, it's just that. I....I'm in love with you Isabella. You don't have to say anything back to spare my feelings, but I really feel that way about you. And I thought-".

He sighs. "This was a mistake. I'm sorry for putting you in this position Bella". She nodded. "You really bought me a ring?" His cheeks tinged pink. "I did". She took the box from his hand and opened it. "It's too soon for us to think about marriage Julian". His shoulders sagged. "I'm sorry Bella". He repeats. She shook her head. "There's no reason to be. We're both adults, but maybe we could compromise?" Julian frowns. "How?"

She opened the box, taking out the ring. It was simple and beautiful, in the middle was a sapphire stone, surrounded by tiny diamonds. She took it out, amazed by the beauty of it. She slid it onto her finger. "We get to know each other better, I'll wear this ring as a symbol for us". Julian nods, he pulls something from his pocket and opens his hand. It was another ring, this one was a plain gold band, with her name engraved on it.

Her heart soared. "You did that Julian?" Tears stung at her eyes. He nodded, slipping his own ring on his finger. "I promise to love you Bella, to be faithful, and all that you need in a partner", he says softly. She took a shaky breath. "And I promise you Julian to be supporting, loving, and to find a way to not let my father kill you". They laugh. "He might kill me though Bella", he says seriously.

She rests her hand on his. "Let's take things one step at a time okay?" Julian nods.  Silence once more settled between them, Julian spares a glance at her. She deserved the world on a silver platter. He had never been more sure with his decision. Maybe it was love at first sight. Who knew? He was absolutely smitten by her, the first time he laid eyes on her. He didn't care what anyone else would say. Well maybe her parents of course, because he'd eventually ask Michael for his blessings.

With money he had already been saving, he'd soon have enough to make the final payments on a three bedroom house, and with the help of his mother. Then he'd make future plans, of buying her a better ring. He was going to make her the happiest girl in the world. His phone vibrated in his pocket, and he slid it out, his heart dropping to his stomach.

A message from Slade.

Time to work kid.

He blew out a frustrated breath. Now was the worst possible time ever. Izzy noticed his change and asked. "Is it urgent? If it is, then you should go, we'll talk later". Julian sighs. "I'll be back soon okay?" He tells her. She nods. He places a chaste kiss on her forehead, promising he'd be back.

Izzy watched him leave, her attention soon diverting to her finger. A smile tore across her face, as she laughs in what she could only place as excitement. She pinched herself, wondering if she'd fall asleep last night and slipped into an unknown dimension.

The sting proved otherwise, but she couldn't wipe the silly grin off her face.

***

She hadn't heard from Julian in over five hours, and yes, she was counting the hours. Not wanting to seem clingy, she avoided the phone like a plague, in fear of giving into the temptation.

She met up with Elliot, Maria and Emma at the ice cream shop in town. Elliot's arm was wrapped securely Emma, Izzy gushed at how cute they were. They ordered and ate, talking in between.

Maria clears her throat, glancing at the empty spot beside Izzy. "Where's lover boy?" She swallows the last of her chocolate ice cream, and answered. "Some emergency". Maria nods. "So it's good between you two right?" Emma asks. Izzy grins. "It's been perfect. And since we got that baby project thing, I haven't seen neither of yours". All three give shaky laughs. Emma retrieves a section of the doll's foot, from the ankle down, and Maria only had the head, with both eyes missing.

Izzy grimaces with a laugh. They join in. "And don't pretend you're that perfect, little miss Bella." Elliot teases. She shrugs. "I am, in fact, mine has all limbs attached, and it's head intact". They share a laugh. "Holy mother of God!" Maria squeals. "Are you seeing what I'm seeing guys?" All eyes fell to her finger.

"When did that happen? You're not knocked up are you?" Maria asks, reaching out to touch her belly. "Is it a girl or a boy? Oh God, you're gonna name it after me aren't you. Obviously for a girl it's Maria, and a boy, Mario-"

"I'm not pregnant Maria", she laughs. Maria pouts. "You're getting married". Elliot says. "To Julian". Emma finishes with a grin. "When's that happening?" Maria asks.

Izzy shrugs, toying with the ring. "We've decided to wait it out".

"Awe", Maria gushes. "Why can't I find a man like yours, all I meet are constant airheads and jerks. You know what, I'm going to change up the game. I usually go for the bad boys, I'll just switch to one of those nerds I make do my homework".

Izzy shook her head with a small smile. Soon enough they went their own way, she returned home, only to find the front door open, the slight printouts of a bloody hand on the door handle. She pushed it open, heart hammering against her ribcage, as she followed a bloody trail to the kitchen, no amount of movies preparing her for what she saw slumped on the wall, breathing haggard.