17: Mikey

Julian sat defeated on his bike outside the entrance to the underground parking lot. It was an abandoned one, and had been the perfect spot for the fights held. He took a deep breath, tilting his head upwards to gaze at the sky. It was a beautiful night, and he was pissed at having to be here and not with his girl. For the first time in two years he hated the choices he made, but it was uncontrollable.

But he loved the thrill of fighting, he couldn't stop. After a few minutes he slid off the bike and walked into the parking lot. His footsteps echoed in the semi-darkness. A section at the back was surrounded by thick plastic. A fight was already taking place, the distinct shadow's hands held high as they cheered. He parted the makeshift door and entered. The fight was overflowing like usual, the makeshift stage was set in the middle, the two occupants going at it.

Julian recognized one of the fighters, Quake. Quake was built with muscles. He had gotten his name by the sheer loudness of his opponents when they fell on the ground, a resounding smack echoing throughout the garage. The entire stage would shake. Julian felt pity for Quake's opponent, who was managing to dodge a few of Quake's jabs. A few not so much. Julian watched for the duration of the fight, paying attention to Quake's fighting strategies. On the second round he had his opponent on the ground, the official smack echoed as the ground erupted into loud chorus.

Julian spotted Slade in the corner, arms crossed, a blunt between his lips. Slade was his father's younger brother, and it seemed danger ran in the family. His father was an abusive prick, his uncle operating an illegal fighting ring, and him, he was a fighter, among other things.

He pushed his way though the thick crowd over to Slade. "Uncle", he says. Slade glances down at him. "I see you made it, with a little persuasion", he chuckles. Julian's fists clenched in anger. "Leave her out of it". He warns. Slade rolls his eyes, removing the blunt to release a puff of smoke, his eyes hard as he spoke. "Keep fighting and she won't be harmed. You have a fight tonight, get ready".

Julian spun on his heels angrily, walking through the crowd once more to the areas blocked off for the fighters. The fighter who was in the ring with Quake sat on a bench, a hand pressed to his side. Julian glances at him. "You don't look good dude. Sure you don't wanna get patched up?" The guy shook his head. "I'm fine, nothing I can't handle".

He looked no older than Julian, with dark skin, he had pale brown eyes, bruises coating his face, a busted lip, a swollen eye. "You look like shit". Julian says. He moves a hand to touch his swollen eye. "I feel like shit", he chuckles.

His expression grew serious. "You look young, why are you here?" Julian shrugs. "To fight". He shook his head. "No you aren't. We're all here to make that pussy Quake feel good about himself, I've been doing this longer than you have kid, get out while you can". He pushes himself off the bench and winces. "I've seen you fight kid, I'm the second best fighter here and look what he's done to me, I reckon you won't get off so easy".

Julian shook his head. "Patch up yourself". He watched the man limped away, leaving him to stew about everything.

Wrapping his fists he emerged outside, where Slade led him to the ring, muting the roar of people shouting his name he slipped under the ropes, rolling his shoulders back as he assessed his opponent.

The other guy had a few inches on him, thick with muscles. He was a gruff dude, cold grey eyes. I can take him, Julian reassures himself. The bell dinged, signaling round one.

As soon as the bell sounded, the man swung a fist at him which he sidestepped, throwing a punch under his ribs. The man staggers. A fresh coating of blood appeared where he was punched, and Julian couldn't help but smirk in triumph, at how easy this one would be. How stupid could he really get? Sporting a wound like that, in a fight like this, where everyone played dirty?

The man shot menacing looks at Julian whom he knew had found his weakness. He pressed a hand to his side, and winces. Shifting his body slightly so his wound was out of reach.

It was perfect. He made a mocking jab at the man's wound, who immediately tried to block it, but midway Julian switched direction, bottling up all the strength he could in one punch, his head snapped to the side as punches rained down on him. The man's eyes were filled with shock, his body jerking with every punch Julian threw.

The last punch made him spin, smacking face down on the floor. The crowd screamed his name. "Titan! Titan! Titan!" He felt the familiar rush of excitement race down his spine as he held up both hands, a grin lighting up his face as they cheered for him.

When he had climbed out of the ring, he found Slade waiting for him. "You did well boy". He laughs, handing Julian a thick stack of crisp hundreds. "Next time don't make me call". He says.

Julian takes it, stuffing the money in his bag, without so much as a goodbye to his uncle, he walked away.

Julian had never spent so much time mulling over gifts, even more, for a girl he really liked. Each item looked less attractive in each store he walked in. He knew Izzy would like whatever he'd get her, but he didn't want random. Perfect? Hell yes. He wanted to impress her, and also an apology for ditching at the last minute. He was walking out of the fifth store that morning, after a reading text from Izzy informing him that she managed to fake sick and where they'd meet.

So now he had only an hour top's to find something just right. He walked into the next store, his eyes scanning over the spectacular jewelry showcased, the diamonds sparkling, his shoulders fell. What was he supposed to give a girl who had everything she wanted? He knew for a fact she didn't wear much jewelry, so probably that was not the best choice.

"Picking gifts are a bitch aren't they?" He looked around finding the guy who was in the ring with Quake. Julian gestured to his face. "You clean up good", Julian gestures to his face. He shrugs, stretching out a hand. "The name's Michael, friends call me Mikey". Julian shook his hand. His eyes returning to the dazzling jewelry pieces. Mikey moved to stand beside him. "You dropped this", he says. Julian looks at him, Mikey had the picture of him and Izzy, it was only a few days ago, they were locked in a kiss when he snuck and took a picture of them.

The light from the sun lit her face at such an angle that she was practically glowing. Her eyes were closed, he remembered her sighing against him in content. He took the picture from Mikey gratefully, he was wondering where it was.

"So your girl I presume?" Mikey asks with a little hesitation. Julian nods. "She is. I flaked out on her last night, so I wanted to make up for it". Mikey nods. "She doesn't seem like a girl who loves jewelry, how about a nice book? My..little sister loved to read". Julian's eyes widened. "Fuck I'm dumb, you've been a great help dude, Izzy is always reading, that'd be the perfect gift. It's not too much to hope, but what do you suggest?" Mikey grins.

"Only the best". They went into a nearby bookstore, Mickey took one end while he tried to pick at least one for her. He knew she loved romance novels, so he picked up a few. After they were finished they met up at the front to pay for them. Mikey had a large pile in his arms, so did Julian. He sets them on the counter.

"I got a ton load", Mikey says. "My favourite is Bones, by Jan Burke". Julian nods taking up The Secret Diaries of Miss Cheever, by Julia Quinn and The China Bride, by Mary Jo Putney. "My Mom has mentioned these ones before, so I bought them too". Julian says.

After thanking Mikey they exchanged numbers. "You did good on your last fight", Mikey says. Julian nods, "Thanks". After parting ways he made his way to Bella's.

What do you guys think of this extra long chapter?

And of the new character?

-Raven