9: Happy Trail

Minutes passed, she watched his face change from hopeful, to sadness. He took a step back, clearing his throat. "It's okay if you say no Bella, I won't be angry, if you don't like me the same, but I hope we can still be friends". He smiled ruefully at her. "I'll crash on the couch downstairs, take my bed Isabella. Goodnight." She watched him turn to leave, her heart fluttering lightly in her chest. She did like him. How could she not? An arm shot out on its own accord,  holding a small fistful of his shirt. He stops in his tracks, but made no move to turn around. Isabella stood there awkwardly, not sure of how to continue.

"I like you too Julian", she confessed. He spun around. "You do?" She nodded, biting at her lip. A smile lit up his face. He enveloped her in a hug, peppering kisses on her lips and cheeks. Izzy laughs, "You can stop now Julian".

He pulls away from her, the smile never leaving his face. "God you're beautiful". Her cheeks heated up at his comment. "We'll take it slow, Bella, anything you want, you're my princess now Bella, and that's how you deserve to be treated".

Tears welled in her eyes, "You deserve someone better than that jerk Joshua, Bella". She swallowed the lump and returned a smile. Joining Maria, Elliot and Emma in the living room, she moves to sit on the couch, but Julian had a  different idea. Pulling her onto his lap, he wrapped one arm around her, entangling their fingers together.

Izzy clears her throat, avoiding the attention of her three friends, all who weren't at all shocked by the intimate gesture. "I won", Maria says to Elliot and Emma, who both groaned. "You guys placed bets on us?" Izzy asks. "We sure did", Elliot answers, both him and Emma handing over money to Maria.

The night ploughed on in laughter and talking, until Izzy fell asleep in Julian's arms. He bid the group good night, carrying Isabella in his arms to their room. Closing the door, he rests her gently on the bed, pressing a gentle kiss to her forehead.

He slides into bed beside her, pulling her closer. She stirred in her sleep, but didn't wake. He continued to stare at her, falling asleep half an hour later.

Isabella woke up, eyes taking in a sleeping Julian. He was on his back, one hand behind his head, the other resting on his stomach. Sunlight peeked through a tiny space between the drapes, hitting his face at an angle that made him look even more breathtaking. Her breath got caught between quiet pants, her chest rising and falling rapidly, as her eyes dipped downwards, his happy trail grabbing her attention. She climbed out of bed, her only intention was to calm her racing heart.

She got into the bathroom, closing the door and splashing water onto her cheeks. Her reflection was somewhat flustered. Using the time, she took a shower, got dressed and went outside. It was still a bit dark out, but she liked to get an early start.

She sat on the porch, a cup of hot chocolate in hand, taking small sips, staring at the lake.

"I woke up and you were gone, thought I'd find you here". Julian smiles at her. He took a seat beside her. "How would you like to go hiking with me Bella?" She nods. "That would be nice. We could go now and return when everyone's awake".

Julian nods. "Perfect. I'll pack some food and water, back in five". Kissing her cheek he returned inside.

Exactly five minutes later he returned with a backpack, stuffed with snacks. "I left a note that we'll be back soon". He tells her.

She got up.

They walked towards the path disappearing into the forest, fallen leaves crunching under their feet.

"There's a nice spot up ahead, where we can stay, just maybe an hour's walk", Julian says, setting the bag comfortably on his back.

"What do you think of your mom's pregnancy?" He questions. She sighs. "I'm kinda excited you know? I've always wanted a brother or sister, but if my Mom doesn't want it, then I won't stop her".

"That's nice, that you're so understanding towards the situation".

Half an hour in, they took a small break, sitting on a fallen tree. They ate and talked, a few minutes later they continued on their walk, Izzy stopping numerous times to snap a few pictures of the wildlife.

In no time they came to the clearing, the grass ankle deep, flowers of different variations littering the blank green canvas. It took her breath away. "It's beautiful", she says in complete and utter awe. He smiles. "Told you it was".

They sat down, Julian spreading a blanket on the ground, and taking out the snacks they brought.

She took some pictures of the meadow. "What?" She laughs, catching the gaze of Julian who had a grin painted on his face. "You look cute taking pictures, your eyes do this thing where they completely glaze over with fascination at the slightest thing", he says softly.

Her cheeks heated up. "Do they now?" He nods. "And when you're angry, your eyes twitch". She laughs. "They do not".

He smirks. "And when you're nervous or worried you play with your fingers". She groans, a smile on her lips.

"I'm not good for you, Bella", he says. She frowns. "You're perfect Julian". He sighs, running a hand through his hair. "I shouldn't be doing this with you, but I just can't help it". Izzy frowns.

Julian looks away, clearing his throat. "Let's just eat", he suggests, picking out a sandwich.