1: Ambushed

Brushing her hair into a ponytail,
Isabella straightens her baby blue dress, that was tight around the bust, stopping above her knees, a bit too frilly at the edges. She glances at her reflection in the mirror and groans.

Her olive skin was glowing, standing out against the colour of her dress. She was supposed to meet her boyfriend's parents, and she was nervous, changing clothes the minute her pale blue eyes zeroed in on the tiniest flaw. A sharp knock on the door pulls her away from her thoughts. Clearing her throat she spoke. "Come in". His head peeped in, dark eyes sweeping the room until they rested on her. He smiles, coming in, and closing the door behind him. "Did you change again Izzy?" He asks, voice filled with amusement.

She glares at him, knowing he knew her frustration. "I want to impress them Josh", she says softly, her eyes resting on his in the mirror. He nods, moving closer to wrap his arms around her waist, his dark skin against hers. He kisses the base of her neck, before meeting her eyes. "You look perfect Izzy". She frowns not entirely convinced, but knowing that if she changed again, they'd definitely be late, and that wouldn't be a good start.

He led her out her house, and to his car parked in the driveway. She slides into the black BMW, the leather seats cool under her bare skin. "It's gonna be fine Izzy", he says softly, and soon they were on their way.

She had been dating Joshua for seven months now, and she knew she was falling for him, and hard, but she liked to take things slow, and see where they'd go. At eighteen, she didn't want to end up like her parents, years of marriage, only to end up in a divorce.

Glancing at Joshua, her mind raked over the things she'd liked about him. He was sweet and attentive, and sometimes a bit shy. He was caring, made her laugh, she liked how carefree he actually was, and how he always managed to take her breath away.

He was taller than her, several shades darker, with the darkest brown eyes she'd ever seen. His hair was soft and curly, which she loved running her fingers through, and which he found annoying, because he was a major neat freak.

She smiled softly at the thought, drumming her fingers on her legs to the beat of the music that echoed throughout the car. Soon enough the Josh turned off on a dirt road. "My parents are staying at the lake house for this weekend", he tells her. She nods, watching the trees pass by in a green blur, until her eyes grew tired. She sighs. "I'll be there with you the entire time", he says softly trying to reassure her.

Feeding off his encouragement, she swallows down her fear. Josh was right. Mr. and Mrs. Parker were just normal people, right?

Joshua helped her out the car, and up the wooden steps to the porch of the cabin. The door swung open as if they were being timed. A man and a woman stood by the door, smiles on their faces. Mr. Parker and Joshua had the same features, the only difference being the age, with a pair of glasses resting on his nose. "Come in Joshua", the woman said, who seemed to be in her late forties, her hair in a tight bun, not a single strand out of place.

Her grey eyes were warm as she welcomed them. "And you must be Isabella", Mrs. Parker says. Isabella nods. "Yes, Mrs. Parker, it was a pleasure to meet you", Mrs. Parker nods. "Same to you dear, well have a seat, would you like some water?" Isabella shook her head. "No thank you Mrs. Parker".

Mrs. Parker smiles, "Okay then, why don't you help me in the kitchen, dinner will soon be finished". She smiles. "Sure". Joshua gives her a smile and a thumbs up, she nods walking into the kitchen.

Not looking where her feet took her, she nearly collided with Mrs. Parker, who turns around, the previous smile on her face gone. Isabella frowns, trying to figure out what had gone wrong, until she spoke. "I don't know what you expect to gain from dating my son, but let me tell you something, you little gold digger. You'll never be good enough for my son. I don't know why you came here, but I suggest you leave before things get ugly, and I promise they will".

Isabella's mouth opened and closed like a fish out of water, not knowing what to say. "I know your type", she continued, "Pretend to be all innocent, but scheming little whores on the inside".

Isabella didn't wait to hear the rest of it, she ran out as fast as she could, not knowing where she was going, but knowing she couldn't stand by and listen. After a few minutes of running, she stops, panting, tears clawing at her eyes, embarrassed and angry at how she had reacted.
She shouldn't have let her words get to her, but they did.

Taking her phone from her purse, she grips it tightly in one hand, not knowing what to do, she couldn't well return to the cabin, with what she said burned into her mind.

Swallowing, she types in his number, and waited. His worried voice answered immediately. "Where are you Izzy?" He demands. "I'll come get you". She shook her head, then remembering, he couldn't see her. "I had to leave. I'm sorry", then hung up, she didn't know how she'd reach home, all she knew was if she wanted to reach before nightfall, she should probably start walking.