In a Dysfunctional Family

A few months ago, Marvel launched a contest for students between the ages of 8 and 17 in various countries around the world. The prize? A projector for the winner's school and a trip to New York to visit the Marvel set and maybe even meet their idols!

Althea, along with her best friends Carlitos and Iratxe, entered the contest without much hope, though they were dying to meet their heroes in person.

While some kids continued to dream of being the lucky winners, Althea tried to stay realistic. "It's probably a scam," a classmate said as he kicked a ball against the wall of the playground. But Althea didn't lose faith, even though she knew the competition was tough.

"Althea!" her brother John shouted from afar. They were twins, but physically they were completely different: Althea was blonde with green eyes and John was dark-haired with dark eyes. "Do you have any change for the vending machine?" John asked. 

Althea shook her head, knowing that if she lent him money, she probably wouldn't get it back. But when John started complaining of hunger.

"You already ate yours."

"Remember what Mom says, you're getting fat," he sneered. Althea felt her cheeks burn with shame and helplessness. How could someone so close, someone who shared her blood, be so cruel? How could her own brother cling to those hurtful words without thinking about the harm it caused? The main reason was their parents.

For a moment, the world seemed to stop around her. She felt a lump in her throat and had to hold back tears. But instead of letting sadness overcome her in front of so many people, Althea decided to take a different stance. With determination in her eyes, she stood in her brother's way and offered him her lunch. "I don't need this, and you need it more than I do," she said, without a hint of resentment in her tone of voice.

"Did I just see you give your breakfast to that freeloader?" Carlitos asked, surprised. Althea shrugged and smiled, "I'm not hungry."

The doorbell rang, and she took it as a signal to escape. After what seemed like an eternity in math class, the English teacher entered the classroom with a smile on his lips and raised both eyebrows, making the class laugh. Professor Márquez was a very beloved and kind man with a natural talent for teaching.

"Guys, I have wonderful news. Remember the contest?" he said with enthusiasm as the class became alert. "Let's pack our bags! Thanks to the joint essays of Daniela, Iratxe, Oscar, Althea, and Carlos, you will be going to New York."

A cry of joy erupted in the classroom, but Althea still felt overwhelmed. She walked back home with John and Carlitos, her neighbor, but couldn't help feeling anxious. She was excited about the trip, but wasn't sure if her parents would let her go. They had always been very protective, limiting her freedom and restricting her ability to explore the world. Unlike John, who had much more freedom without receiving much punishment, she felt trapped and limited.

Althea wanted to scream with excitement, she wanted to feel the joy that filled the people around her, but something inside her prevented her from doing so. She felt like she was fighting against something bigger than herself, something that kept her in place, something that made her feel like she could never escape.

"Mum, Dad! We're going to New York!" John shouted as soon as they entered the house.

Althea stayed behind, watching as her brother received the approval and support of their parents, while she continued to feel trapped in her own life. She wondered if she would ever be able to escape, if she would ever have the chance to explore the world, even if it meant going alone to the nearby park and discovering her true potential.