Missing

Lizzie arrived at Scarlett's house early, just at dawn. The girls were still peacefully resting in their beds, except for Cosmo, who, as always, was eagerly awaiting his breakfast. Scarlett, with a determined expression on her face, firmly denied her friend's request. She let the little one entertain himself with his toys while crossing her arms and giving her friend an intense look.

"Lizzie, I'm sorry, but my answer remains a resounding no. By the way, would you like some coffee? I'll have to wake the girls soon, take Rose to school, and talk to the principal about enrolling June".

Lizzie accepted the coffee offer with gratitude. "I know June is your daughter, Scarlett, but remember she's my goddaughter. Do you really think I'll lose sight of her for a single minute?"

Scarlett sighed and spoke quietly, making sure none of her children could hear her utter a curse. "They snatched my daughter from a damn hospital. I find it hard to be separated from my children under any circumstances, but what happened with June is a different case. I admit I've become paranoid, but I've just got her back, and I don't want her out of my sight. Even when the time comes to take her to school, it'll be a challenge for me".

Lizzie approached her friend and enveloped her in a warm hug. "It's just about taking her to the bakery; she doesn't even know her favorite cake. I want to do this with her, maybe buy something together and come back. I'll stay in touch the whole time, Scarlett. She'll be holding my hand, I promise".

"Please, Lizzie, don't leave her alone at any moment. She disappeared from my side in the past, and that was terrifying. Please." Scarlett clung tightly to her friend, regaining her composure when she heard the girls' footsteps coming down the stairs. "The girls are here" she whispered, wiping away a tear that rolled down her cheek.

Rose was holding hands with June, both of them dressed rather similarly. "I ran into June on the way" Rose said with a smile. "Good morning, Aunt Lizzie!"

"And what about Mum?" Scarlett asked affectionately.

Rose let go of June's hand and rushed to hug her mother. "Good morning, Mum. " She sat on a stool and began to have a bowl of cereal.

June, more timid, approached Scarlett, who picked her up right away. June burst into laughter as Scarlett covered her face with kisses.

"Good morning, princess. " Scarlett finally put June on a stool and approached Rose to continue her morning round of kisses. Rose laughed and tried to push her away repeatedly.

"Mum, I'm having breakfast. Stop being so clingy".

Lizzie laughed, covering her mouth with the coffee cup as she watched the effusive morning reunion.

Scarlett said goodbye to June with a terrified look in her eyes as she begged Lizzie to take care of her. She then left with Rose. June looked at Lizzie, waiting on her feet until the young woman took her little hand and led her to her car, where a child's car seat was installed.

"As you've already had breakfast, we'll go shopping first to avoid the crowd, and then we'll enjoy some big pastries," Lizzie explained to her goddaughter, having a plan in mind.

June swung her legs in the car seat. "Are you hungry?" she asked with her childlike voice.

Lizzie wrinkled her nose. "No, sweetheart. Why do you ask? Would you like to go home and bake cookies?"

Although the idea of baking cookies seemed fun, June shook her head. "You said we were going shopping."

"Oh, you're such a cutie, dear. Today is the godmother and goddaughter's day, my day to spoil you, and your mom isn't here to stop me," she chuckled, mimicking the tone of witches from stories, and they both laughed.