Bitter and Sweet

TW 🚨 Profanity, Threats...

Three weeks had passed and June was recovering well. Fears of a possible infection from her stitches had subsided, allowing Scarlett to dive back into work more actively, relying on her mother to care for her convalescing daughter while Rose was at school.

Scarlett paced nervously, clad in an elegant black trousers, a cream shirt, and a matching jacket. She wore light makeup following her facial treatment. Glancing anxiously at the ticking clock; Lizzie was running late and they needed to head to the courthouse as soon as possible. Rose was with her father, Cosmo was with Colin's mother, and Lizzie would look after June until they returned from that ordeal.

"As usual, she's not answering the phone," Scarlett sighed, looking at her husband. Vanessa was in the dining room with her niece June, who was watching cartoons. The doorbell rang and Melanie opened the door to find a blushing Lizzie with a guilty look.

"Scarlett's going to kill me, right? There was terrible traffic, and I had to stop to fill up the car because it decided to run dry," Lizzie explained.

"Lizzie!" Scarlett exclaimed as she came down the stairs.

"Scarlett, remember I'm your daughter's godmother, the aunt to your children, and your friend," Lizzie said humorously, as she saw Scarlett roll her eyes. The tension was palpable, though Scarlett tried to keep it from her children.

June looked away from the cartoons to see the newcomer. "Lizzie!"

"How's my little monkey?" Lizzie rushed over, making Vanessa laugh.

"Good, mom lets me play a bit in the garden. But I can't run or jump yet," June pouted.

"You'll be able to soon," Lizzie smiled, kissing her goddaughter's forehead. "Once you're better, we have plans to fulfill."

"Dance and cookies!"

"That's right," Lizzie winked.

Scarlett approached her daughter to smother her face with kisses, eliciting bell-like laughter from June.

"Be good, little love bug," she stroked her cheek and looked at Lizzie. "Please, if your phone's half dead, use my chargers. If anything happens, call me, Colin, Chris, or my mom."

"Scarlett, everything will be fine," Lizzie murmured, embracing her friend and sensing her nervousness, not just about leaving June but also about facing the ordeal of the trial.

"Thank you," Scarlett brushed her hand across her face, nodding to compose herself and smiled again at her little one, who was frowning in a way that Scarlett was beginning to understand-a sign that something was bothering her and she couldn't quite grasp it. "Little bug, mom's okay. Have fun with Lizzie, keep an eye on her so she doesn't turn the house upside down. I trust you."

"I promise, mom! I'll keep watch!"

As soon as they stepped out the door, Lizzie sat down beside her goddaughter and theatrically mimed an indignant scene, which only made June laugh harder.

"What are you laughing at, little monkey?"

"You're big and I have to keep an eye on you!" June exclaimed, sticking her tongue out cheekily.

"I would tickle you right now, you little rascal," Lizzie said, tapping her goddaughter's nose. "What are we watching?"

"Monsters Inc."

"I love that one!" Lizzie smiled, rummaging through her bag. "Want some?" she asked, raising her eyebrows dramatically, making June laugh again as she saw the bag of sweets.