Subtle Hints of Secrets

Althea fell asleep in the car due to the exhaustion of the journey. But as soon as the car stopped, her eyes opened wide like headlights, just like her mouth when she saw the mansion. She had never seen such a huge house.

"Wow! Cleaning everything will take days," she blinked. Cleaning her own house was already challenging for her, and it wasn't large. She didn't even want to imagine what it would be like to clean Scarlett's house.

"Do you clean it yourself?" Scarlett raised an eyebrow at the little girl's comments. She had expected any kind of exclamation, but not this. She got out of the car and smiled.

"I maintain it, but we have Chloe, who is wonderful."

"Ah, of course, you're an actress, you can't have time for those things," she spoke as if she were a understanding adult, with her delicate childlike voice. Scarlett did nothing more than take her hand and lead her to the door, which opened to reveal a curious Colin, who kept his surprise in his eyes.

"Althea, he's Colin, my husband," she introduced them with a big smile. The girl hid a little and greeted him timidly.

"Hello, Althea. Scarlett has told me a lot about you, and she said you're quite the artist. You know we've hung up your drawing."

Althea blinked and came out of her hiding place.

"Thank you."

Scarlett gave Althea a tour of the house to help her get familiar and feel comfortable. Colin joined them, exaggerating imitating his wife, making the little girl laugh and helping her to relax. It was a detail that Scarlett adored.

With a sigh, Scarlett stopped in front of the closed door. It was the door to her lost daughter's bedroom, whose name was embroidered inside a cloud. Her hand trembled slightly before opening it, a fact not unnoticed by Colin, who offered his support with a gentle squeeze on her shoulder.

Upon opening the door and turning on the light, a child's bedroom filled with stuffed animals, a crib, and a small bed was revealed.

Althea squealed with joy and let go of Scarlett's hand to enter the room and grab a plush ballerina mouse. She had been worried throughout the car journey because she didn't have any stuffed animal to sleep with, one that would protect her from the darkness of the night and help her have sweet dreams.

"Can I sleep with her?" she asked with bright eyes, ready to pout to make it happen.

"Of course, sweetie," Scarlett's eyes moistened as she watched Althea happily hugging the mouse and excitedly exploring the room. For the first time, that room was filled with joy instead of tears over the loss.

Althea's steps came to a halt, and she lowered her head along with her shoulders.

"What's wrong, little mouse?" Colin asked.

"I came in without permission and touched everything. I'm sorry, it was unintentional," her lips trembled, waiting for a reprimand that didn't come. She didn't want Scarlett to be angry with her. Scarlett was so kind and loving that she didn't want to disappoint her. In her old home, such behavior would have resulted in a severe punishment and being sent to her room without dinner.

Scarlett stepped closer, closing the distance, and lifted Althea's chin. Her heart squeezed at the sight of sadness and fear in those beautiful green eyes.

"Sweetie, you can play with anything you want. This room is where you'll be sleeping, and it means a lot to me that you like it."

"Rose, won't she get angry? I don't want her to be mad at me, or at you for letting me stay here. I can sleep on the couch," Althea suggested, holding onto her plush dancing rat firmly, unwilling to part with it, at least for that night.