Countdown

⚠️ Warning: This chapter may contain sensitive content, addressing delicate topics such as kidnapping, abuse, and harm. I've tried to approach it as gently as possible, but if it's not to your liking, even in a mild form, it might be preferable to skip both this chapter and the next. Take care!

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

The surroundings of the house were heavily guarded by a contingent of private security. The imposing presence of the guards did not go unnoticed by the children. Scarlett reinforced surveillance at Rose's school and adjusted her routine, choosing to personally take care of Cosmo and June while the police conducted their investigation. It wasn't a matter of distrust towards her mother-in-law and mother, but rather a precaution to preserve her own peace of mind. She preferred to have her children in sight while immersing herself in her work.

June, playing the role of a devoted older sister, stayed by Cosmo's side while their mother attended to her duties. They had toys, books, and enjoyed breaks in Scarlett's cozy caravan.

"Would you like to do a puzzle, Cosmo?"

Cosmo nodded, settling more comfortably in the wheelchair with his mother's name. In front of them, a table full of treats and juices awaited. June opened Sing's puzzle box and arranged the pieces near her brother to make the task easier.

"Cosmo, if we put the frame together first, it'll be easier to follow. Look for the corners," June advised, connecting the pieces and applauding each time her brother completed a section.

Meanwhile, June began to feel the need to use the bathroom. She didn't want to interrupt her mother during the filming or leave her brother alone to venture out in search of a restroom. When she couldn't hold it any longer, she spotted a girl touching up her mother's makeup and, on one occasion, handed her a lollipop.

"Hello," June greeted the girl, who was absorbed in her makeup kit. The woman, upon seeing the girl, smiled. "Could you stay with my brother? I need to go to the bathroom. Please."

"Of course, sweetheart," the girl approached, taking a seat in the available chair. June informed Cosmo that she was going to the bathroom but would be back soon. June ran when she felt it was urgent. She thought she wouldn't make it until she saw the restroom sign. Relieved upon exiting, she felt disoriented. She clasped her little hands and began to look for the place where her mom was filming. She passed by another film set, and the familiar sound made her scream and run with her hands over her ears. She didn't stop until she could hide under a table, holding her legs.

"Isn't that Scarlett's daughter?" they whispered, but June didn't stop; she only did when she could hide under the table, holding her legs. 

"You shouldn't be here, little one," a man crouched down to pull her out, but June started screaming, getting further under until her back hit a wall. "Whose child is this?" he crouched down to look at her, checking the pass, and upon reading the last name, he opened his mouth in surprise. "Which set is Scarlett Johansson on? I think she lost her daughter."

The scene was considered wrapped up, and Scarlett returned to the table with her children, encountering her makeup artist Brenda and her son, but there was no sign of June. A chill ran down her spine: "Where's my daughter?"

Brenda looked up. "She went to the bathroom, asked me to stay with her brother for a moment."

"What? I told her to come get me or wait," her eyes scanned the surroundings, her nervousness escalating. She rushed to the nearest bathroom but didn't find her daughter there. She returned hoping she had come back; she would then hug and scold her for disobeying her instructions, but the girl wasn't there. "No, no, no. JUNE JOHANSSON!" She screamed in desperation.