Mama Bear

Agent Michael Garrett found himself in an unexpected situation, even when he thought he could go back home after his workday. Nonetheless, he kept a professional demeanor, though inside he was excited to be in front of one of his idols. What else could he do but make things easier for him?

Given the data provided by Professor Marquez, they were waiting for the response from the Spanish police. Once the other children returned home, the problem would explode, and if the Smiths were guilty of something, they could use that time to disappear off the map.

Scarlett had lent her mobile phone to Althea, who was playing a game. After kissing her on the forehead, Scarlett lowered the volume of the music a bit. The silence was interrupted by Professor Marquez's personal phone.

"Excuse me, it's one of the monitors," he apologized with regret to have a brief conversation. "What? Yes, take care of it," he shook his head. "Luckily, she's okay. We just have a little inconvenience on our hands, but I can't explain it yet. Let the children have dinner, I don't think I'll make it in time. Perfect, thank you."

Marquez looked at the people present again with regret for the interruption, and finally, his black eyes focused on the girl playing with the mobile phone.

"Althea," the professor called.

The little blonde head rose.

"Are we leaving now?" impatient Althea asked.

The professor cleared his throat.

"No, what I want to know is if you saw John when you went to the bathroom."

Althea shrugged.

"I don't know," she answered absentmindedly before returning her gaze to the game. Scarlett smiled at the girl's behavior because it reminded her of Rose.

"Who's John?" Agent Garrett asked, who seemed to be out of context.

"Her twin brother," the professor replied. "As I've been told, he confessed that he was the one who closed the bathroom. Anyway, Althea shouldn't have gone alone, but should have asked for permission and waited to be taken."

Althea closed the phone and slumped her shoulders as she was scolded.

"I'm sorry, Professor," she said in a low voice. "You were busy with Marco, Chloe was making Susie's ponytails, and the rest of the girls were waiting. I didn't see Peter." She started to cry and covered her face, ashamed of doing so in front of everyone. "Don't tell Mom and Dad, they'll be very angry with me." Although it wasn't her fault, she knew her parents wouldn't be good to her, and she was afraid of the possible punishment.

Marquez felt a little uncomfortable and rubbed his neck. Suddenly, his gaze collided with Scarlett's, who seemed to be furious.

Scarlett got up from the chair, put away her phone, and picked up Althea in her arms. The little girl took the opportunity to hide from the stares, and the professor sighed as he saw her hide. He knew she didn't deserve to be punished and that maybe his nervous tone hadn't been the best, but he also knew he shouldn't have left alone without any further notice.

"What you should do is keep quiet," Scarlett said to the professor in a firm tone. "The parents trusted you to keep an eye on the kids. If you can't do it, don't embark on a trip like this, or demand more collaboration. Not just two monitors, especially if they're young kids who will move around. Anybody with half a brain knows that. So don't blame a little girl for not knowing how to do your job," she continued as she calmed the distressed girl in her arms.

Scarlett was angry with the professor, and if she wasn't holding Althea, she would still be lashing out at him. But she also worried about the fear the girl seemed to have towards her parents. "Agent Garret, do you require us for anything else?" Scarlett asked. "It's late, and Althea needs to have dinner."