White Water

Scarlett woke up with a gnawing anxiety that clenched her stomach, as if a storm were brewing inside her. The first rays of dawn timidly filtered through the curtains, painting the room in soft shades of gold and blue. With determination, Scarlett got up and headed to the kitchen. While preparing breakfast, the aroma of coffee filled the room, but her mind was a whirlwind of thoughts.

Shortly after, her two daughters were ready for the day, but for Scarlett, it was an exceptional day. It would be June's first day at Rose's school, marking the beginning of a new chapter. She had little time because she would later have to leave Cosmo in the care of Colin's mother and head to her lawyer Harold Grant's office to finalize the preparations for the lawsuit against the Smiths.

The tension overwhelmed her like a heavy burden on her shoulders. Harold continued to insist on taking June to the stand, an idea Scarlett firmly opposed. She had reluctantly relented in the past, allowing June to take the stand, arguing that the child didn't know this Tim person, but now she feared her daughter would once again face a situation of catatonia when confronted with the Smiths just as she was beginning to show signs of improvement in her recovery.

"Rose, sweetheart, could you look after your sister a bit?" Scarlett asked her older daughter, confident that Rose wouldn't refuse. Excitement was palpable in the girl, who jumped up, eager to have her sister at the same school.

"June, you'll only be there for a few hours, and Mom will come to pick you up," Scarlett assured June, who seemed more serious than usual. The little one advanced in silence, immersed in the world of her thoughts, a world that Scarlett longed to protect.

Once everyone was in the car, Rose enthusiastically began to sing a Disney song, while Cosmo clapped, caught up in the joy of his older sister. June, on the other hand, swung her legs, gazing into the distance as if she were looking at a far-off landscape that only she could see. Scarlett seized every opportunity to glance in the rearview mirror and keep them under her watchful eye.

"June, I'm sure you'll love school. Then, during recess, we can play together, and I'll introduce you to my friends. I've already told them about you," Rose said, trying to cheer up her sister. When they arrived at school, 

Rose opened the door, and her friends greeted her enthusiastically. Rose's voice filled the air, brimming with enthusiasm, like a beacon of joy in the midst of uncertainty. "June is here!"

Scarlett was moved by her older daughter's effusive attitude. She then unbuckled June so she could get out of the car and took Cosmo in her arms, reaching out to June. Scarlett brought her closer to Rose so she could be introduced to her friends and engage in a brief but friendly conversation with the mothers.

When it was time to enter the school, Rose bid farewell to her sister with a kiss on the cheek, and June started to pout.

"I want to go with Rose," June whispered, her voice trembling and her eyes glistening.

"Sweetie, we've already talked about this. Rose is nine years old, and you can't be in the same class as her. But I'm sure you'll make friends soon," Scarlett gently touched June's little nose, a loving gesture meant to elicit a smile. "Who could resist being your friend?"

June wanted to tell her that she didn't have many friends at her old school, but she wanted to believe her mom. She allowed herself to be guided into the new school. The place was very different from her old public school; she wouldn't have Rose in her class or her best friends, Iratxe and Carlitos. Plus, she didn't know anyone else. What if they made fun of her? She wouldn't have her friends in class to keep her from feeling lonely or to defend her.

June tugged at Scarlett's hand a couple of times once they stopped at a door. The school hallway stretched before them, filled with fluorescent lights that flickered with a constant hum. The walls were adorned with colorful children's drawings, each one a promise of adventures and discoveries. When Scarlett looked down, she could see the fear reflected in her daughter's eyes, large green eyes now filled with insecurity.