Waking in Silence

June spent the entire morning with a furrowed brow, crossed arms, and a disdainful look every time Scarlett appeared. It all started when they returned after enjoying an ice cream, and Scarlett received a call from her friend Iratxe. While Iratxe began to tell her about some policemen taking away their mothers, Scarlett hung up the phone before she could find out what had happened or continue talking to her friend.

"Are you going to keep that sour face when you're so beautiful?" Scarlett asked, offering a bowl of ice cream as a peace offering.

Reluctantly, June accepted the bowl, albeit with tightly pressed lips. Scarlett had to stifle her laughter to prevent the girl from getting even angrier.

"Are you still mad?" Scarlett asked.

"You hung up, Iratxe thought I hung up and she'll be mad at me. She's my best friend, and you take good care of good friends," she said as she took a spoonful into her mouth, even though she always enjoyed the ice cream, despite having to deal with a stomachache later.

"Sweetie, next time we call, if you want, I'll explain that it was me," Scarlett said as she sat next to her daughter and ate from her own bowl.

June's expression began to relax.

"Will you promise?" she asked, extending her pinky finger for Scarlett to join with hers and seal it with a solemn commitment. "It's a vow, and you can't break it."

"Not even if Thor threw a lightning bolt," she winked, taking another spoonful into her mouth. The ice cream was quickly melting under the summer sun, forming little puddles around the cone's edges.

A little later, June was dressed in an outfit that Scarlett had carefully selected online: a light cotton dress with vibrant patterns and some adorable, comfortable shoes that were completely new to the girl. Scarlett then gave her some braided hair and led her to the car, an elegant black Audi Q5 parked in front of their house. June had no idea where they were heading, but she assumed that the actress had business to attend to and didn't want to leave her alone at home.

"Where are we going?" she asked, swinging her legs in the car seat, the straps of which were decorated with unicorn designs.

Scarlett hesitated, glancing in the rearview mirror as she started the car.

"We're going for a check-up. I'm concerned about your stomachache and just want to make sure you're okay, alright, sweetie?"

June nodded, gazing out of the window. She couldn't recall how long she had been in New York, and all she could think about was how upset her parents would be and how she was falling behind in school. She feared struggling to adapt again. She slumped her shoulders, not wanting to hear that she couldn't do it, or have John make fun of her for not keeping up with him.

"Are you okay, sweetheart?" Scarlett flashed a warm smile as she drove through the bustling city streets.

June looked ahead upon hearing the question.

"When will I go back home?" she asked, a hint of longing in her voice.

Biting her lip, Scarlett decided on her response as she stopped the car at a red traffic light.

"Do you really want to go back?" she inquired, giving herself a moment to think. She wanted June to know that her well-being was the top priority.

The girl furrowed her brow, deep in thought.

"I miss Iratxe and Carlitos," she admitted, blinking. "And I'll fall behind at school. Mom and Dad will be mad at me." She looked down at her new shoes, gently caressing them. Scarlett could sense the mix of emotions in her daughter's voice and wished she could ease her worry and uncover what she was hiding.