Storm from the Past

September 10, 2017 

Scarlett opened the door as soon as she heard the doorbell and found the person she was waiting for. Without hesitation, she embraced her tightly.

"I thought I wouldn't see you for a long time with all the work you've had between shootings and premieres."

"It's been an intense year, but I promised I'd stay for a few days after the premiere of 'Ingrid Goes West.' Besides, how could I miss my goddaughter's first birthday?" Lizzie smiled, and instantly, a blonde girl approached and hugged her leg. "Hello, Rose, my beautiful girl."

"Auntie Izzie, I have a fever," Rose said as she touched her forehead, which was red, and her eyes were shiny.

"I know, Mom told me," Scarlett responded as she closed the door to prevent drafts and bent down to lift the girl. "Is the fever still high?"

"Yes, it's a few degrees above normal. But if it gets worse, I'll take her to the emergency room. I've given her medication, but it's barely coming down."

While Rose watched cartoons and drank a glass of juice, Scarlett and Lizzie caught up after not having seen each other physically, apart from the premiere, and they could hardly talk.

They were interrupted by a sudden cry, and Lizzie, with a pleading look, got up and asked if she could fetch the baby.

With Scarlett's permission, Lizzie entered the nursery and, in the sweetest voice she could muster, started talking to her goddaughter.

"Little pumpkin, is the most beautiful girl awake already?" She peered into the crib and cooed at June Melanie until she began to laugh. "Look at those cute cheeks. A gnome kiss from Auntie Lizzie," she picked up the baby and rubbed her nose against the tiny button nose.

"Let's go to Mom and your sister, Rose," Lizzie said as they headed to the master bedroom. However, an unpleasant smell filled the air, and Lizzie smiled. "Well, well, it seems you've brought a gift for Auntie Lizzie."

Lizzie took June to the changing table and, although she struggled a bit, she managed to change her diaper.

They descended the stairs and joined Scarlett, who was taking care of Rose and checking her temperature. The worry on her friend's face made Lizzie realize that the fever was still present.

"Lizzie, I called my mother, but would you accompany me to the hospital?"

Lizzie nodded and, eager to help, prepared a backpack with everything needed for her goddaughter and for Rose. She accompanied Scarlett to the car and offered to drive when she saw her friend so nervous. Halfway there, June started crying, demanding to be fed, and Scarlett, unintentionally, let out a scream that only increased tension in the car, merging with the cries.

"I'm sorry," Scarlett sighed, trying to regain her composure while holding a cold cloth to Rose's forehead. "Just wait a bit, June..."

Upon arrival at the hospital, Scarlett went in with Rose, and they were taken to an observation room, while Lizzie stayed in the waiting room feeding June with a bottle. Soon, June fell back asleep, and Lizzie gently rocked the stroller in which she was comfortably nestled when she saw a familiar face. Melanie approached her with concern on her face.

"Do you know anything?"

"No, they took them to an observation room," Lizzie replied.

Melanie sat down and, after checking on her granddaughter June, sent a couple of messages to her other children.

"If they take much longer, I'll go ask for information."

Shortly afterward, a family began to cry with heartbreaking sobs. The woman was comforted by her husband and eventually fainted in his arms, requiring attention.