School Return

In the nights, June's dreams turned into terrifying nightmares, where Marian Smith's menacing gaze relentlessly pursued her, offering no mercy or escape. Marian's revenge was a dark shadow looming over June, a vengeance unleashed because, during the trial, June had spoken more than she should have. In these nocturnal terrors, June's deepest fears came to life, transporting her back to the anguish of being separated from her mother and siblings, helpless and without aid. The suffocation of a dark trunk, laden with dust that induced sneezing, was so vivid that upon waking, she did so amid screams, her body drenched in sweat.

June's disorientation led her to scream at the presence of anyone approaching, as if she didn't recognize them, until Scarlett's scent and voice brought her back to reality, unleashing heart-wrenching cries. The days were not much better. Any noise or the opening of a door was a cause for fear for June, who became a tiny shadow clinging to Scarlett. Although Scarlett didn't mind being that protector, facing the need to use the bathroom turned June's patience into an anxious wait by the door.

One morning, with pronounced dark circles, June looked at her mother as she prepared breakfast. Scarlett, noticing the gaze, gave her a smile, causing the girl to respond with a shy smile. "What's wrong, little one?" Scarlett asked.

"I want to go to school," declared June with conviction.

Scarlett scrutinized June intensely. In subsequent sessions with the psychologist, they decided not to pressure June until she was completely ready to return to the routine. Scarlett, sacrificing even her own work schedule for the well-being of her daughter, considered this a significant progress. She approached with a smile and kissed her little one's forehead. "Anytime, June, if you need Mom, I want you to tell the teacher. Understand?" She pressed her nose against her daughter's.

"Yes, Mom," nodded June, determined to return to school. She longed to reunite with Daisy; the two days shared with Iratxe and Carlitos provided some comfort, but she also yearned for a close friend.

When Rose received the news, she celebrated with a little victory dance, eliciting laughter from both June and Scarlett. "We'll be able to play at recess, June," Rose grinned broadly. "My friends can't wait to see you again."

Scarlett resumed the task of styling her daughters' hair. While Rose complained, causing laughter from Scarlett, June didn't express any complaints. For her, it was still a complete novelty for a mom to take care of both hair and breakfast or ensure her clothes were presentable. Both girls sported replicas of updos and the school uniform.

June hugged Scarlett tightly when she said goodbye at the school gate, a gesture so intense that it worried Scarlett. She was about to take her back until June let go and ran alongside her sister, under the watchful gaze of their mother.

June stayed with Rose until each had to go to their respective lines and classes. June's gaze scanned the area until she spotted Daisy. She followed her into the classroom and sat beside her.

"Hello, Daisy!" June greeted cheerfully.

June's brow furrowed when she received no response from her new friend. June's eyes explored Daisy, the rest of the students were entering, and the teacher was taking attendance. June occasionally looked at Daisy, but the other girl didn't meet her gaze; she simply seemed to ignore her.

"Daisy, are you okay?" June asked with concern, sensing the tension in the air.

The classroom atmosphere filled with anticipation as June anxiously awaited Daisy's response. Daisy huffed and finally turned to look at her, but not in the way June had hoped; Daisy seemed angry.

"Has no one told you that you're annoying?" Daisy retorted with a touch of venom in her voice, sinking June into her chair.

"Are you so naive that you can't see I don't want to talk to you?" Daisy continued, retrieving her school supplies with irritation. "If you don't leave me alone, I'll complain to the teacher and switch seats."