Games and Detentions

(A brief clarification: From now on, Anthea will be referred to as June in the narrative, although for June herself, she will continue to be Althea for the time being).

Harold Grant, a seasoned lawyer who used to boast about having seen it all in life, now found himself facing a case that challenged his limits: the kidnapping of June Johansson. In reality, he had already represented Scarlett, June's mother, in a fierce legal battle for custody of her eldest daughter, Rose.

Harold made sure that the case of June Johansson's abduction would not be forgotten. He maintained constant contact with the inspector in charge of the case to prevent its closure. Scarlett, of course, would not have tolerated that happening. Cases like Johansson's, involving famous people, were highly publicized, and no police station wanted to deal with them.

Scarlett's threat was not in vain; Harold knew that if his client sensed anything amiss, she would be willing to follow through. She had already taken on the powerful Disney industry in the fight for Black Widow's rights. If she did it for money, she would be even more determined to get her daughter back and make all those involved pay. Harold didn't want to be on the opposite side of that equation.

The day promised to be long, as they awaited a call from the embassy. He ordered a coffee, well aware that he would need it, even though it was barely eleven in the morning in New York.

Meanwhile, thousands of miles away and after about 7 or 8 hours of flight, classes were ending in a small Catalan village.

"When will Althea return?" Carlos asked.

Iratxe shrugged. "She has to call me back. Today, I visited all the teachers to collect her assignments. I wouldn't like her to be delayed too much and have to repeat them," she added with a look of displeasure.

"Still can't believe I'm living in Natasha Romanoff's house," Carlos chuckled, receiving a playful punch from his friend.

Iratxe shook her head. "I don't think he's lying, right?"

"I'd sooner say I'm with a celebrity than say I'm in a hotel or anywhere else."

"You're a fibber," Iratxe responded immediately.

John Smith approached the pair of friends and nudged them lightly. "Do you know anything about my sister?"

Iratxe turned around with annoyance. "As if I would know anything, right? Besides, I doubt you're really concerned, since this wouldn't have happened if you hadn't closed the bathrooms."

John crossed his arms and raised his chin. "It was just a prank, not my fault they have no sense of humor, and I didn't make her miss her flight."

He pushed past them again and walked ahead, leaving them behind. Iratxe sighed and continued walking behind her best friend's twin.

"I don't understand how Althea could have been born next to that guy," Iratxe muttered, waiting for John to be far enough away as she was afraid of him.

Carlos laughed. "I don't understand it either."

As they walked along the sidewalk, about ten steps behind John, several patrol cars rushed by on the road.

"What do you think happened?" Iratxe asked curiously and began to run, leaving her own house behind.

She wasn't the only one approaching the scene. In front of the Smiths' house, several patrol cars were parked, and shortly after, the door opened, revealing the Smiths accompanied by two pairs of agents. They weren't handcuffed, but the agents were closely escorting them.

Iratxe started to cry.

"Why are you crying?" Carlos asked.

"What if something happened to Althea? They're police officers; in TV shows, when something like this happens, they give bad news later."