The Echo of the Tick-Tock

Colin enveloped Rose in a protective embrace, attempting to hide his face as the joy of having her back faded when he directed his gaze toward the computer screen. Nick Perry continued to aim at June, whose fragile body seemed even more vulnerable sitting in a chair with her feet dangling.

Inside the van, silence became deafening as they watched the scene, only interrupted by the blast of a gunshot. Colin held his breath as he saw June's chair fall backward; the silence broken only by Rose's sobs upon hearing the shot and Scarlett's gut-wrenching scream outside the van brought him back to a brutal reality.

Scarlett fell to her knees, submerged in a sea of tears, screaming in agony. Chaos erupted in the abandoned place, unleashing a barrage of gunfire. As the support team surrounded the area, ensuring there was no possibility of escape, they followed precise directives from high command regarding the individual's location: take him down, preferably alive.

With his heart pounding, an agent approached the small lifeless body on the ground. Fearing he had arrived too late, a sigh of relief escaped his lips as he saw that the girl still had her eyes open and was crying, indicating that she was still alive. However, the harsh reality revealed itself in the bleeding stain beneath her. Quickly, the agent removed his jacket to apply pressure, aware of the crucial importance of stopping the bleeding.

"Call an ambulance! Take down the guy once and for all!" he shouted, his voice carrying the urgency of the situation. "You're good, little one. You were brave. You'll be okay."

June's eyes shot open, filled with terror. The agent turned just in time to encounter a man dressed as if he were part of his own unit. A shot between the eyes brought him down onto June, covering her with blood that wasn't hers. June, stunned, didn't react; her tears mixed with the splattered blood on her cheeks from the agent and the horror reflected in her gaze.

"Lower the weapon!" they ordered, surrounding the aggressor. "He's completely surrounded; he won't come out of here alive."

Scarlett, becoming aware that they were asking for an ambulance, grew hopeful and rushed in without being aware of the danger she also faced. Bringing a hand to her mouth upon seeing her little one on the ground, and the man standing, still aiming at her without remorse.

"Please! She's just a child, she's innocent. You could have taken my money and left "Scarlett tried to divert attention to herself.

"I don't want your damn money! I have plenty; I'm a genius in my field. Because of this brat, Marian is in prison," he swung his arm, alarming everyone present who were waiting for instructions. "Would you give your life for the treacherous rat?"

"I'm her mother, I would" Scarlett responded without hesitation, despite the agents' refusal, which the actress deliberately ignored.

June writhed in pain, each movement causing her agony that threatened to make her faint. An intense burning sensation consumed her, making her already limited breath even more difficult, given the heavy weight on top of her. In one of her contorted attempts to breathe, her fingers touched cold metal; her hand moved until she had the pistol in her grip. Unsure of what to do with the weapon, she squeezed the handle just as a wave of pain engulfed her.

A nearby agent noticed the movement but couldn't warn in time. A click echoed, and at the precise moment Nick turned, he received a shot in the coccyx. The gun had a strong recoil, which, if June hadn't already been lying on the ground, would have sent it flying.

Scarlett watched the scene in horror. This wasn't an action movie; it was real life. June's expression reflected both her suffering and determination. Meanwhile, Nick Perry, now wounded, let out a groan of pain. Nick howled, blood pouring down his pants. "Demon's daughter!" he was about to shoot when he took another shot in the arm, making him drop the weapon. He was disarmed, handcuffed, and stripped of the balaclava. As they took him away, medical staff entered. The lifeless inspector was removed from June's body, and medical attention focused on her, who had by then lost consciousness due to blood loss.