Between Tenderness and Anger

June eagerly awaited Lizzie's arrival, anxious to surprise her. Joy filled her heart upon learning that her mother was involved in the mischief. As Lizzie entered the hospital room, radiant with her sweet smile, June assumed her usual performance, observing her for a moment before allowing a playful smile to grace her lips.

"How did my pretty girl sleep?" Lizzie showered June with kisses, who struggled to hide her laughter. Seeing that she was about to give in, Scarlett intervened.

"She had a better night; there are fewer dark circles. But every time she moves a bit, the pain returns. I'll try to have the catheter removed," Scarlett explained, adjusting her little one's tousled hair.

With her Paddington bear tightly in hand, June looked at the drawings, knowing she only had to wait for her mom to start the mobile's mini recording. Lizzie sat on the other side of the bed, and Scarlett, with an expressionless face, pressed the play button.

"Aunt Lizzie!"

Lizzie immediately turned her gaze to her goddaughter, who continued as if nothing happened, absorbed in the drawings. Then, she glanced at Scarlett. "She just spoke," she said excitedly.

"When?" Scarlett asked, with a confused expression, further bewildering Lizzie. June tilted her head to look at Lizzie, mimicking Scarlett's puzzled expression.

"Aunt Lizzie, you owe me a dance."

Lizzie opened her mouth in amazement as she saw her goddaughter's mouth not moving and looked at Scarlett, who maintained the same expression as before.

"Are you okay, Lizzie?"

"But... Scarlett, I swear I just heard her voice," she put her hand on her chest. "I know it sounds crazy, but I assure you."

"I think WandaVision got to your head a bit, didn't it?" Scarlett replied, continuing her act, while June could no longer hold back her laughter.

Lizzie blinked.

"I love you, Aunt Lizzie, would you give me the puzzle?"

Lizzie pointed to her goddaughter. "I swear I'm hearing her. She asked me to give her the puzzle. Sweetie, I was already planning to," she responded, seeing June's eyes waiting for a response. "Scarlett, I assure you, I'm not making this up; it's either me or your daughter."

Scarlett smiled and looked at her daughter, who burst into laughter. Finally, she lifted her phone and played the message again.

"Aunt Lizzie, you were so funny," June finally said.

"Ohhh! I can't believe it," exclaimed Lizzie with a feigned expression of annoyance, then gave June's finger a gentle nibble, causing even more laughter. "You're lucky, little smurf, or you'd be in the midst of a tickle attack now," she wiggled her fingers.

June continued laughing until tears filled her eyes, until laughter turned into tears of pain. Scarlett kissed June's cheek and called the nurse to increase the painkiller dosage. "My little love bug, you'll be better soon," she tenderly caressed her cheek, sharing a worried look with Lizzie.

The painkiller started to take effect, and June's eyes began to close, her cheeks soaked with tears. Scarlett wiped her own tears and embraced Lizzie. "I can't wait for this nightmare to be over."

"I know, me too. Do you have to leave?"

Scarlett nodded, looking at her little one. "I'll leave early today; I have fewer scenes to shoot," she announced, kissed her sleeping daughter's forehead, and then shook hands with Lizzie in gratitude before leaving.

Before leaving, she stopped by the nursing station. The head nurse objected to the idea of removing the catheter from June and replacing it with diapers until Scarlett insisted on speaking with the doctor overseeing her daughter's case. With an affirmative response, she rushed out as she was running late.