Between Demons and Smiles

The long-awaited and feared day had finally arrived, a day where emotions surged, and anxiety became unbearable. Over those two eternal days, June found herself trapped in a strange dance of lucidity and partial catatonia, as if her mind was desperately struggling to escape the overwhelming reality. The psychologist feared that, when facing the witness stand, June would become completely blocked, unable to confront the impending nightmare. Seeing her daughter in that state shattered Scarlett, like a knife repeatedly stabbing her heart.

During those endless two days of waiting, the girls didn't attend school, and tension hung over everyone like a shadow. On the fateful morning of the trial, June woke up drenched, with the bitter reflection of her deepest fears, having wet the bed again. Shame engulfed her, and she broke into sobs when Scarlett wrapped her in her arms; the warm water of the bath managed to calm her enough.

June chose to wear a denim skirt and a Black Widow hoodie, as if the garment with her mom's character could provide her with a sense of security and closeness. Scarlett tied her hair in a high ponytail, while Rose cried, longing to join them on this crucial day. But Scarlett knew the trial was no place for a young child, it was enough not being able to prevent June from attending. With a lump in her throat, she left Rose and Cosmo in her grandmother's care.

The car journey passed in a sepulchral silence, broken only by the soft background music that tried to dispel the oppressive atmosphere. Colin, at the wheel, bore the weight of the journey, while Scarlett, overwhelmed, occupied the back seat, holding June's cold hand.

"Sweetie, Mom will be by your side at all times," Scarlett whispered, her eyes full of love and determination, while tears threatened to well up.

June made an effort to muster a smile and looked at her mother. "Can we have mac 'n' cheese and chocolate cake afterward?"

Scarlett couldn't help but let out a soft, affectionate laugh. "Of course, darling. How about we buy a trampoline and surprise Rose? Would you like that?"

"Yes! Rose will be very happy," June's eyes sparkled with enthusiasm. "And we'll bring her a lollipop and a soft toy for Cosmo."

"Whatever you want, dear," Scarlett kissed her daughter's forehead and stroked her cheek, seeking to instill calm and security."

Upon arriving at the courthouse, Scarlett was surprised to find nearly the entire MCU cast, who had put aside their busy schedules to offer support in this distressing moment. Scarlett held June in her arms, shielding her face from the cameras as the paparazzi vied for the best shot to sell to the highest bidder. Once inside, Chris Evans enveloped them in a warm embrace.

"Don't think for a second that, in a moment like this, the family was going to leave you alone," he smiled, kissing Scarlett's cheek and then June's forehead. "Have you seen how many superheroes have joined to protect you, little one?"

His words were a balm of strength and support amidst the anguish, a reminder that they weren't alone in this difficult journey. June's eyes widened, there they were, surrounding her: her uncle Chris, Captain America; Iron Man, Thor, Hulk; her aunt Lizzie, the Scarlet Witch; Falcon, Vision, Spider-Man, Hawkeye, Captain Marvel, Nick Fury, Winter Soldier, Loki, Star-Lord, and Drax the Destroyer. It was like a dream of superheroes come true, a scenario seldom witnessed in real life.

Colin handed Scarlett a tissue as her tears of emotion couldn't be contained, even though her smile radiated happiness. Everyone was present except her mother, who stayed behind to watch over the kids.

"Iratxe, Carlitos!" June shouted as soon as she saw them. With an irresistible desire to break free from her mother's arms, she finally succeeded and ran to her friends.