Rose is at home

Althea couldn't resist the temptation to call Iratxe. As she opened her eyes, she found herself once again in the same room as the previous night, confused about how she had ended up in bed. But at that moment, what really worried her was that she hadn't called Iratxe.

Silently slipping out of the room, Althea remembered that Scarlett had given her permission to make the call. She headed to the first phone she found but encountered a small obstacle: at first, the phone didn't work. It was then that she remembered she had to dial the area code. It took her a few minutes to recall what it was, as she had only used it when John spoke to his parents, and that had been about three days ago.

"Hello? Who's calling?" a drowsy voice on the other end of the line asked.

"Iratxe," Althea murmured, careful not to wake anyone.

"Who's calling? It's 2 in the morning."

Althea hesitated before responding. "Mrs. Gomez, it's Althea."

"Sweetie, what are you doing calling at this hour?" her friend's mother responded with a friendlier voice now. "Iratxe is sleeping right now."

"I forgot to call her yesterday... Please, tell her I'm not mad, and I'll call her again. I apologize, Mrs. Gomez, for calling so late," Althea tried to sound repentant and almost stumbled upon realizing that she was being watched by a pajama-clad Scarlett.

"Of course, Althea. Goodnight, sweetheart."

"Good morning... I mean, goodnight."

After hanging up the phone, Althea turned to Scarlett, who was looking at her with a serious expression.

"You shouldn't have snuck in to do that," Scarlett admonished, approaching to check the phone. "I know I gave you permission, but you should have waited for me to wake up. I would have told you it wasn't time to call yet."

Althea lowered her head, feeling embarrassed by the scolding. Then, a gentle hand lifted her chin.

"I'm not upset, but what will you do next time?"

"Wait for you," Althea replied tenderly, a smile forming on her face as Scarlett hugged her affectionately.

"That's right, sweetheart," Scarlett smiled as she lightly tapped Althea's nose. "Come, my love, will you help me prepare breakfast? In two hours, I have to pick up Rose from the airport."

Althea climbed onto the stool and began helping Scarlett in silence. She still didn't understand why she was there, and the idea of meeting Rose, a girl her age, perhaps older, made her uneasy. What if Rose didn't like her? Professor Márquez wasn't there to be by her side; she didn't know anyone in New York, and she wasn't even sure if she still had a return ticket for the flight. Her heart began to race, and Scarlett's words turned into buzzing in her ears.

"Althea," Scarlett called her again. "Sweetheart, breathe."

Althea felt herself being lifted into arms and her back being stroked. She could hear a voice, but her brain seemed incapable of registering the message.

"Listen to me, sweetheart, everything is fine; I've got you. Breathe," Scarlett spoke calmly while swaying and holding Althea close to her heart. "Feel my heartbeat, my breathing. Follow my rhythm, my dear."

Althea closed her eyes, frightened, until she managed to focus on Scarlett's constant and soothing heartbeat. She took a deep breath and then noticed the faint flowery and sweet perfume emanating from Scarlett. Gradually, her breathing became more regular, and Scarlett's voice became clearer. For the first time in a long time, she felt embraced by someone, and the curious thing was that it was a complete stranger, famous and known on television, but still a stranger.