Chapter 3 - Wishes

Why was I so hung up on one sassy, curvaceous sprite? Damn it, I should just move on

Why was I so hung up on one sassy, curvaceous sprite? Damn it, I should just move on. Mist clearly didn't want me anymore.

Arguing with myself, I left the rest chamber in the Atlantean outpost, descended the spiral stairs and strode out of the tower. Green-tinted bioluminescent light from algae growing at the surface of the force shield holding back the dark East China Sea waters illuminated the path in front of me.

Commander Elle had made her interest known when we'd arrived at the small underwater city the day before yesterday, but my usual raging libido had disappeared. Evaporated the same day Mist froze me out. No matter how many times I tried to convince myself to accept her decision, it rankled. As I had for the last three weeks, I'd spent the night alone, tossing and turning over that damned stubborn Valkyrie and I'd given up on getting more sleep tonight.

Why wouldn't Mist speak to me? That glare she'd given me when we left Tír na nÓg—I hated, absolutely hated that she wouldn't talk to me about whatever sea urchin had crawled up her ass. I'd tried... several times.

I'd even asked Shannon, but she hadn't known either.

My fists clenched.

Shells, we'd been so good together. I'd thought she'd felt the same. Yet in one afternoon, it crashed down around me. She'd melted for me like hot butter on toast in the morning, but when I returned after her training with Scota... well, I was lucky she hadn't stabbed me.

Although I might have preferred it. That blue-haired brat had the cold shoulder move perfected.

I kicked a piece of white shell on the path. But leaving her to take on the Wild Hunt while I spirited Shannon, Loki, and Elatha away. Damn it, that bothered me—maybe more than it should. If Kara and Maeve hadn't been with her, I'd never have been able to leave her to face those odds. Still, it left a sour taste on my tongue and squirming eels in my belly.

That damned feisty smart-mouthed Valkyrie had better be fine.

Maybe I should... my jaw flexed, teeth grinding. No, she didn't want to see me. Fuck, she'd barely spoken a word to me but she threw glares like bloody cannon balls.

Continuing down the path, I frowned. 

Were my eyes deceiving me? Is that...? 

Squinting, I peered ahead, my heart pounding as I recognized the Atlantean in front of me. "Elatha. Wait up. Where are Loki and Shannon?" I called out, breaking into a jog to catch up. Damn it. What had happened? I was sure they'd left yesterday for a meeting with the Shen Eight Immortals.

Elatha waved a hand but continued without stopping. "Manannan, hey. They're waiting for me on a beach in China. We needed something before we head to the door to Annwn."

Something about his tone was off, like his throat was thick. Why wouldn't he look at me? He was moving fast, and it prickled the hair on my nape.

"You got permission from the Shen to travel through their territory, then? Or are you trying to get through, regardless?" I asked as I joined him in the direction of the water gate, taking in the worry furrowing his brow.

Elatha's gaze finally met mine, and my heart clenched at the tears welling in his silver starburst eyes. "We got permission, but Ao Guang and his two brothers showed up. Loki's hurt. I need to get back to him," he said, increasing his speed and I stretched my legs to match.

Hurt? That fucking trio. They'd made the mistake of attacking me a few years back when they'd decided to destroy a reef I'd just restored in the Pacific Ocean, but no fucking dragon god was going to best me in the water. 

"Is there anything I can do? Let me at least guard your back as you return," I offered, chest tightening. The young prince could so easily be my offspring as I suspected his younger sister was. Especially with the way the Atlantean queen welcomed me to her bed almost like one of her consorts whenever I visited her capital on Tír na nÓg. "Once you are safe with them, I'll retreat into deeper waters, but you know how to get in touch with me if you need me, right?"

"Appreciated. Yes, I have one of your messenger shells," he agreed. After cycling through the gate's force field and into the dark, cold waters of Litaui, we sped towards the nearby shore of China.

"What are Loki's injuries?"

"Skull fracture, concussion, cuts and bruises, maybe a broken wrist, and that's after Shannon doing what she could to try to heal him. That fucking dragon smashed Loki into a cliff, a jagged rockface, and then he fell, hitting more on the way down. It scared the squid ink out of me, Manannan. I thought Ao Guang had killed him. He passed out in my arms," Elatha said, his voice shuddering. "But he woke again before I left."

Danu's tits. This was bad. "How did you get away?" Was Shannon powerful enough to take on the Vermillion dragon of the South, the Black dragon of the North, and the Azure dragon of the East all at once? If so, I'd greatly underestimated her goddess powers.

"Ao Run arrived and helped us, as did Lu Dongbin"

Ah, of course. The White Dragon of Justice was always cleaning up after his brothers, but while I avoided them, Ao Run and I had enjoyed killing numerous bottles of mead together.

"Yes, Ao Run is definitely the best of the Shen dragon lords. He's got a wicked sense of humour, but he's entirely honourable," I reassured Elatha as we slowed to approach the shore and not create a tsunami. Even Atlanteans couldn't keep up with my top speed, but I'd towed Elatha in my wake without being obvious about it. Young males had their pride, after all.

Further dampening the waves as we rose out of the water, I stayed in the shallows as Elatha started towards shore. I let out a long exhale, tension leaving me when I spied Shannon sitting with Loki in her arms, kissing. If he was well enough for that, his fertility god powers would soon help him heal the rest of the way.

Elatha turned to me, a smile finally on his lips. "Thank you, Sea God. I know I wouldn't have made it back here as fast if you hadn't accompanied me."

I shrugged, but smiled back. "Be safe, Elatha. I look forward to talking with you at Aidan's birthday party after your successful quest."

Worry flashed over Elatha's dark face but he nodded, waved, then turned to stride the remaining distance to his soulmates.

A soulmate. By the first shell, it'd be amazing to have that connection, to know this person was meant for me, a union blessed by the Norns. I sank back into the waves, trying to not wish for something that would never happen.