Chapter 39 - The Day It All Changed

Of all the porous sea sponges, where did my brain go that I thought this was the way to win Mist over? I might as well lie in a bed of sea urchins

Of all the porous sea sponges, where did my brain go that I thought this was the way to win Mist over? I might as well lie in a bed of sea urchins. It would have been less painful and equally idiotic. Disgusted with myself, I stalked through the garden, away from the scene of my most recent disastrous encounter. I shoved my hair back from my face, turning randomly through the numerous purple-hedged paths and flowering blooms, but the beauty around me faded from my sight. The image of Mist's furiously blazing eyes seared my vision.

Shells, how had this gone so completely sideways? I'd thought it simple before I'd arrived and I snorted at my own naivety.

As if I could ever compete. He's the damn original 'fallen angel', the devilish temptation for thousands of women over thousands of years. And barnacles take him, but he's got two cocks and a tail to back up his seduction game... the game he invented the fucking book for.

What female is going to pick me over him? None.

I groaned, swiping a hand across my face. It's not like he forced Mist. He didn't have to... just like Inanna. She eagerly left me for him. Why would Mist be any different? What do I have to offer that he doesn't already have and do better?

Nothing.

What am I doing here? I'm never going to get Mist back.

Pazuzu's question—"You really have no idea why?"—burbled to the forefront of my thoughts and my pace slowed until I came to a halt.

There had to be a trigger, some event that happened that caused Mist to change her mind about me.

But what?

The day she'd stopped talking to me had started the same as the previous, with a delicious wake-up that I'd thought had satisfied us both.

"Mmm... you do know how to spoil a girl, Sea God," Mist purred, arching in my hands as I licked her shuddering body.

I flicked my tongue over her soaked folds. "Who needs breakfast when I have you, Mist? You didn't really want to go spar with Scota again today did you?" A blend of our essences with her unique fresh ocean taste, I couldn't get enough of the curvaceous sprite. Perhaps I could keep her in bed all morning.

She smirked down at me and tugged my hair. "Yes, I do. Shannon is probably already waiting for me. As much as I want to go another round, you'll just have to wait until this evening."

I nipped her.

She jerked and shoved my head away, trying not to laugh. "Damn you, Manannan!"

I released her and she rolled away, off the edge of the bed and quickly tugged on her clothes.

The cheeky kiss she'd blown at me as she strode out the bedchamber doorway was the last time she'd looked at me affectionately—a cherished memory I could visualize with perfect clarity even now.