Chapter 46 - Full Circle

Pregnant

Pregnant...

A spark lit within my chest, catching fire as her words sank into me. Pressure built, grew, and expanded until my roar erupted from my throat and shook the cavern. My beautiful little mate, my fragile little human, my Anna was pregnant.

Slowly, carefully, my trembling fingers lowered to press against her abdomen, the home of our child, nestled inside her. Tears welled in her eyes as the cautious hope expanded on her face and her smile widened.

I lowered my head to take her lips again, cradling her soft body to me. "Yes, Anna," I growled after our mouths parted. Nuzzling her neck, I drew her scent in, tasting it with senses deeper than physical. The same instincts that had first told me she could be my mate now confirmed her pregnancy with the richness in her already luscious notes. "Yes, I am very pleased my little mate."

"Congratulations, both of you, but we should get her to your palace healers," Mist interjected, bringing our gore-soaked surroundings back to mind.

With a glance down at Anna's bandaged arm, I nodded then stepped back and shifted into my dragon, beckoning with a talon. "On you get, all three of you. Once we are out of Lamashtu's fortress, I'll be able to open a gate." Protecting her with a cushion of air, I lifted Anna to my back and chuckled at her squeak of surprise.

Mist stepped up through the air as easily as if an invisible staircase rose to my back and settled behind Anna, wrapping an arm around her. A puff of air blew out my nostrils as I held back my amusment. That Valkyrie really had hidden her skills, not that I blamed her. It wasn't like Asgard and Muspelheim were on good terms... although I had no quarrel with the Asgardians.

Manannan joined Anna and Mist on my back and I held them in place as I launched myself from the filth of my enemy's stronghold. As we swooped down the tunnel and out into the stormy ash-laden air, I considered the precarious relationship we had with the Asgardians... a relationship I'd put in jeopardy by keeping Mist here. Greedy dragon that I was, I was reluctant to let her go. Still... she'd made her choice by not accepting my mating bite. I needed to respect that. The idea didn't sting quite as much as it had previously. Mist would never truly be happy here with Anna and I. Not long term, anyway.

A flick of seidhr opened a portal to my palace and I flew through and into clear skies. I brought us down and into the throne room, landing lightly to let my fragile passengers slide to the black flagstones before I resumed my human form.

"Fetch the healer," I barked, lifting Anna into my arms and settling her in my lap on my throne.

"Right away, my prince," answered a wolf demon guard with a bow, then he turned and raced out.

"While we wait, I think it is past time to clear up some things." I looked between Mist and Manannan and couldn't hold back my smirk as Mist met my gaze with narrowed eyes. She crossed her arms, cocking one hip. Blood-spattered she might be, but it certainly didn't detract from her fierce beauty. Attitude swirled around her.