Chapter 7 - The Maze

"Did you know the demons had this level of tech?" I asked when my brain caught up with me

"Did you know the demons had this level of tech?" I asked when my brain caught up with me. Tentatively, I touched my wrist and the display disappeared.

"No, but then, I've never had any dealings with them. I'm not much of a fighter," Bloudwedd said as she poked at her own wrist.

"It must be powered by our own energies. There is obviously some kind of quantum link with Claw, for him to be able to input information, which means there is probably some kind of tracking ability, too." I scowled down at it. Fuck. I didn't want to scrape off half my wrist to be able to escape my contract, but I'd do it if I had the chance to leave this planet earlier.

Bloudwedd's head bobbed. "You are thinking about escape?"

I cocked an eyebrow. "Aren't you? Do you want to live here for the next five years?"

She jerked her head, looking around us, before lowering her voice. "No, but getting off this planet isn't going to be easy." Her gaze rose to the gas giant hanging in the rust-coloured sky above.

"Agreed, but let's scope things out first. It'd be better to have a sense of this place and come up with something that has a reasonable plan for success so we don't end up in some demon's stomach."

Bloudwedd shivered and nodded. "Should we check out the maze?"

I gestured with my arm in a sweeping motion. "Sure. Lead on."

Together, we entered the turquoise-clipped hedges, taking right turns whenever one presented itself. Every few minutes, we encountered outdoor rooms that each seemed to have their own themes. Some were styled like bedrooms, with large padded surfaces and pillows. Others were styled as various businesses including offices with large desks, healer spaces with different types of seats, benches, and frames, taverns complete with various alcohols, and learning auditoriums that contained a few rows of seats centred around a platform with a desk. There were outdoor rooms that contained thrones and others that appeared to be arenas. Perhaps for performance? Or training? What role did arenas play on Muspelheim? Some rooms contained various shaped padded structures in wedges or curves while other rooms defied description, with walls and frames for chaining, restraining, or otherwise suspending bodies.

As we explored, we discovered some spaces in use and with a quick look, Bloudwedd and I passed those by. Gargoyles flew over periodically, their bodies only a few metres above the hedges and their gaze moving back and forth as they passed. A gust of wind buffeted us as something large took to the sky from the other side of the hedge in front of us and I parted the wind around us.

Bloudwedd's eyes widened. "Was that you? Are you—"

An Atlantean male rounded the corner, still buttoning his shorts. He halted and silver eyes looked us over. "You're both new. I'm Ethan of Fomora. I'd say it was nice to meet you, but..." Waving his predominantly midnight arm, he indicated the surroundings and wrinkled his nose. He had a strong jaw, with one side of his face midnight and the other pure snow. The bands of contrasting colour continued down his muscled torso. Numerous short dark braids adorned his scalp, with a few streaks of white.