Chapter 2 - The Comfort Of Friends

Why am I on Earth, again? I looked down into the tumbler as I swirled the smoky amber liquid, then brought the glass to my nose

Why am I on Earth, again? I looked down into the tumbler as I swirled the smoky amber liquid, then brought the glass to my nose. Cherry, oak, chocolate-covered almonds, and always, that lovely smoke. Yes, mortals had done well to create such complex drinks like this twenty-five-year Glenfarclas.

"Are you going to drink it or inhale it? It's not like we can get drunk on this weak stuff," Nabu said, reclining on the black leather sofa across from me with his own tumbler of scotch in hand. "Although, I wish our brewmasters could create half as good a flavour in the swill they turn out."

Raising an eyebrow, I sent him a glare as I sipped my scotch, enjoying the small bite on my tongue. "Why do I bother spending time with you?"

Nabu smiled, gleaming white teeth on display and contrasting with his dark goatee and deep olive skin. Those damn dark eyes of his glittered with amusement. "Because, my prince, I'm your best friend and will tell you when you are being an asshole."

I sighed. He wasn't wrong. Still. "One of these days, I might just bite your head off."

Nabu snorted and took a sip of his scotch. "Well, at least I know you love me if you start at my head instead of my feet. I don't know how you manage to prolong their torture so long with such dainty bites in your dragon form." He pursed his lips and held up a hand, making a prissy, little nibble motion. "It's not like your mouth is smaller than mine. You've got a good metre more in jaw length than I do."

I smirked at his attempts to goad me. "Jealous, Nabu? Not all of us are gluttons that try to stuff as much in our gullet in one bite as you. I have manners." As I recalled the idiot scorpion demon I'd made an example of last week, my smile widened. I'd only taken both feet to the ankle—hardly a nibble—and he confessed his attempts to swindle me, the words tumbling out in a torrent.

A choked sound came from Nabu, his eyes incredulous. "Manners? You? Like the time you shat on Humbaba's favourite—"

"My brother still thinks that was you." I returned Nabu's toothy smile.

"Wha—"

"Getting back to your previous question, I start at their feet because those that survive are an example to the rest. If my demons didn't fear my wrath, I'd have to eat more fools that don't know enough to not fuck with me. I might get fat." I patted my lean stomach.

Nabu snorted a laugh. "As if. But speaking of fucking..." He looked down, smiling into his glass. "How's Anna?"

"Fuck you, Kenku dick." Tension shot through my torso. I tossed back my scotch in one swallow, and rose, walking over to the sideboard. "By Tiamat, you fucking know how it's going. She needs at least another four and a half weeks on the White Haoma to withstand the demands I'll put on her little human body," I growled. Longer would be better, but with my heat coming, I wouldn't be able to fight my instincts. Not with finally finding a compatible fertile female after waiting three thousand endlessly long years.